Chapter 3: Another Move

Warning!!!! Mentions of severe self harm in this chapter!!

•°•°•°•

When I got back to Grandma's I immediately went downstairs. She was used to this, so she didn't question it. Amidst all of the boxes of Disney movies, was a table with circuit boards and electronics sitting on it. I always fiddle with them when I'm frustrated. I want to understand circuitry and how it works and how to fix it. It probably stems from my dad's faulty airbag.

As I tinkered, I thought about Grant's betrayal and the mean words he said to me and about me.

"You're a freak!"

"MURDERER"

"She should just do everyone a favor and get rid of herself!"

My hands stilled on my work as I considered his words. Tears fell down my cheeks as I couldn't help but think he's right. Nobody would miss me. Grandma probably just thinks I'm a burden. And it's not like I haven't thought about doing it before.

Blinded, in a cloud of guilt and rage, I rummaged through my grandma's stored belongings until I found a rope that would do the trick. I looped it around an exposed beam and tied it, then pulled over my desk chair and stood on it.

Just do it already, I told myself. You heard Grant. Nobody's gonna miss me anyway.

With that, I closed my eyes and let gravity take me. As I began to fall, I heard my mother's voice screaming "NO!" My eyes shot open as my full weight landed on the rope.

No no no!! I can't do this anymore! My hands grasped at my neck but I couldn't pull the rope away. I just have to hope Grandma can help me.

I focused my dwindling energy to send my voice upstairs, praying she could hear it. "Help me!" I made it scream.

I know I haven't done this in a while, but it might be my only chance. I focused on the straining rope and forced my voice to scream with all it's might. After another second of struggling, I heard the door to the basement open and my grandmother began walking down the stairs. Her eyes met mine the second she got far enough down to see me. A flashback appeared in my mind of my mother's shocked expression stuck on her face as she died. Her large blue eyes widened in fear. I knew I had my mother's eyes and it was like Grandma was watching her own daughter die. I couldn't do that to her. I just couldn't.

The next second seemed to take a thousand. The rope finally snapped and I began falling as Grandma rushed down the stairs, but moved too fast and tripped. We both fell for so long, yet when I hit the ground, the moment felt too short. I started coughing so hard, my vision went foggy. I fought to get oxygen back into my lungs as I blindly ran to the bottom of the stairs.

Grandma wasn't moving and there was a pool of blood coming from her head. I ran over to my desk and, still coughing, called an ambulance. I didn't want to use my quirk again, but I had to to help Grandma, so I used it to tell them the address, then hung up.

In what seemed like no time at all, they were down the stairs, helping Grandma into a gurney while another EMT examined my throat.

We were both sent to the hospital.

Grandma was still alive.

But barely. There was severe bruising and broken bones and even some internal bleeding.

My quirk had saved me, but it hurt her. How could I have been so selfish? Of course she would have missed me! What had I done?

After I was fully examined by a doctor and a psychologist, they permitted me to see her. It wasn't good. They had cut her open and tried to fix everything, but they doubted she would pull through.