Chapter 17: The Confession

------Author's Note------

The video above is the trailer for Miss Congeniality, the movie they watch in this chapter. If you've never seen or heard of it before, I recommend watching the video to understand some of the jokes made. Either way, it's only a brief part of this chapter, so it's definitely not essential to the plot. I just thought it was amusing.

Anyways... Onto the story!!

•°•°•°•

"What's on your mind?" Ochaco asks as we head outside, trying to find Reina in the crowd. 

"Just thinking," I sign, looking around for our friend. 

"You look pretty out of it, are you okay?"

I stop in my tracks, turning to face her, though I can't meet her big doe eyes. I gulp, raising my hands again. "I'll tell you both in a minute. Let's just find Reina and get to a tea house or something."

She pauses, her eyebrows furrowing, before nodding and continuing our search. A force hits us out of nowhere, crushing us into a hug. 

"YOU GUYS DID SO GOOD!!!" Reina screams in our ears. 

"Thanks!" Ochaco and I squeeze her right back. "Hey, Koto has to tell us something, so we were gonna find a tea house and go chat."

"Oh really?" She pulls away, concern in her eyes as she looks up at me. "What's going on?"

I sigh, putting my hands in my pockets as I turn to walk down the hill. They hurry after me, falling into step on my left. They allow me to walk in silence while I sort out my thoughts. How in the world am I going to do this?

We reach a little shop in town and enter, each of us ordering a drink. I order a raspberry hibiscus tea, grab a handful of napkins and sit down at a booth. 

When they sit across from me, I look up to see their concerned gazes looking back at me. 

"I need to start off by saying…" I feel a tear slip out of my eye and they both grab my hands, stroking them comfortingly, but I pull them away. I know that if I don't get this out now, I won't have the courage to say it again. 

"My parents passed away a while ago. I lived with my grandmother until about a month before I met you guys when she passed away too. Both times, it was my fault. Present Mic is my uncle and I've been living with him ever since. I made a promise to them that I would make a good hero to repair all the damage I caused. My uncle is helping me with that. He was the one who convinced me to apply to UA, whether he realizes it or not. I just...I want to fix things."

I take a moment to wipe my nose and eyes with napkins. My friends move from their side of the table to mine, wrapping their arms around me as I clean myself up. I notice tears in both of their eyes, yet they still comfort me. I let a sob escape my lips as I clutch onto their arms tightly. 

"I'm so sorry I never said anything, I was just scared," I sign, but Reina grabs my hand and entwines her fingers with mine, Ochaco doing the same to the other so that I can't sign anymore. 

"I get it," Reina sniffles out. 

"You don't have to be scared to share your life with us. We're here," my other friend buries her head in my shoulder. 

I take my hands back from them, wiping my eyes, then signing, "I can tell you the rest, but not here. Can you guys come over to my house at 6? Mic wants to introduce himself to you guys properly."

Ochaco lets out an inhuman squeal, then quickly says, "yes of course!!"

"You can stay the night if you want. He's having a party, so we would have to stay in my room, but there would be plenty to do."