Chapter 29: The Other Side

------Author's Note------

Hey guys! I just checked and I passed my engineering class!! I was so close to failing and I would've had to take it again over the summer, but by some stroke of luck, I managed to not completely fail the final. I was so happy that I actually cried, so here's an extra long additional chapter for today!

Also just another thing from future me, I found this really awesome picture above and thought it fit Koto so perfectly in this arc! The original pic had grey eyes, but I photoshopped them to be her exact shade of blue. It honestly looks EXACTLY how I picture her. But anyways, onto the chapter...

•°•°•°•

"Maestro," Nyikang calls out as he walks in front of us on our morning patrol.

"Yes?" I illuse, snapping my attention to him.

"You can illuse music, correct?"

"Yes."

"Why don't you play something as we walk? Not only will it strengthen your endurance, but it'll also put you in a better light with the public. They admire heroes who can have a little fun on the job," his voice indicates the presence of a smile hidden under his mask.

"Oh, okay," I illuse, suddenly getting very nervous. What if people don't like what I play, though? It should definitely be something lighthearted. Something fun. Probably something people can dance to.

"I don't see the point," Shinso says from next to me. "We're here to protect the public. We don't need to be making friends."

"Why am I not surprised you're taking that view?" Nyikang asks, mildly smug. "After all, you don't exactly seem like Mr. Popular to me."

"I couldn't care less about being popular and making friends," Shinso responds, crossing his arms. "It's all fake anyway."

They continue bickering, but I am still mentally flipping through my whole song list. I should find a way to rope Shinso into this. He'd hate it, but that's okay. Maybe he could even have a little fun.

Ultimately, I decide on a song. It's fun, fast, and I can play around a little with it as well. I only watched The Greatest Showman a few days ago on my day off after the festival, but I have already bought the songs and committed them to memory. After watching Les Misérables, I had to look through the collection to see if GGG had any other Hugh Jackman movies. I was pleased to see this was not only a musical with him, but also with Zac Efron who had been a childhood crush of mine. And on top of that, their costumes only reinforced my confidence in my hero costume design. I focus on the song I chose and prepare myself for the ridiculous performance I'm about to do.

I look up at Nyikang and Shinso who have been walking side by side ahead of me. Here goes nothing.

I illuse piano and drums above my head, making a heavy beat as I approach them. Passersby glance my way curiously, then continue on their way. As I reach the two, the music stops and I illuse two clicks as I snap to get their attention. They turn to me as I cross my hands over my chest, starting to illuse the lyrics.

"Right here, right now
I put the offer out
I don't want to chase you down
I know you see it"

I gesture with my hands, pretending I'm singing to Shinso.

"You run with me
And I can cut you free
Out of the drudgery and walls you keep in."

I illuse the sound effects, patting him on the shoulder and sliding past the two, beginning to shuffle down the street while still miming.