Chapter 50: Training Camp Begins

The morning of camp finally comes. I wake up early which isn't too irregular, but it's actually opportune this morning, seeing as the buses leave in only 2 and a half hours at 7:00 am. I sit on the bathroom floor for a few minutes to soak up the coolness of the tile and calm my nerves. 

Don't worry about it, you're just...staying at an unknown location for a week. Normal stuff, right?

The twisting in my stomach gets worse. I fight the bile that threatens to rise. 

I really hope this doesn't happen when I'm there, but what are the chances? This is good for just a normal day. 

Please, anyone that's listening, help me survive this trip.

I lean over to press my forehead against the floor and focus on my breathing. I extend a leg out to the side and begin stretching. I got permission from my ballet instructor to go on this trip, but only if I agree to stay limber. She's been very understanding of this whole hero program I'm in, but that also means I have to miss out on stuff. When the new cast list came out only for me to find out I was casted as an extra yet again, she pulled me aside to explain that with everything happening with school, I'd be much too busy to get casted as the lead ballerina. Of course it stung, and still does, but I understand where she's coming from. It's unfair to everyone else if I have to leave last minute for some hero thing and leave them without a lead. 

My plan to survive this trip is to get up early every morning and stretch. That way, I can work off my anxiety and be ready for whatever hell Aizawa is planning on putting us through.

Mic said earlier this week that Aizawa had been texting him, asking about my quirk. Of course, Mic's takeaway from the entire situation was that Aizawa finally acknowledged their friendship. He was too happy for me to rain on his parade, so I kept quiet, but I know my training is gonna be grueling. 

I change into my UA uniform and pack away my pajamas into my duffel. Why we have to wear our uniforms to ride the bus, I have no idea, but I'm not gonna question it. At least we don't have to wear the blazer. It's way too hot for that. 

I pack my new swimsuit in the bag after much internal debate. Toru spent too much time helping me find it for me to just not bring it, I reason, zipping up the bag. 

I do another once over of my room and head out to the kitchen, rubbing my eyes. It wasn't easy to go to sleep last night, what with everybody texting in the class group chat. I'm sure Bakugo muted everybody after he left 5 times and was brought back every time. 

I look at the clock on the stove to find it's only 5:24 am. I groan in frustration and swipe a hand over my face. This is gonna be a long day, I think tiredly. Maybe I can get some sleep on the bus.

Although we don't know how long the ride will be, I can assume it'll be long enough for me to get at least a small nap. 

I make myself a cup of coffee, knowing that it'll keep me up for a little bit before making me crash. In all honesty, drinking coffee is the easiest way for me to calm down enough to fall asleep, something about the combination of ADHD and anxiety. I've become used to the bitter taste, but it's usually something I drink at night. Simply the conditioned stimulus of the aroma makes me sleepy, but I sip on it anyway.

Around 5:45, Mic comes stumbling into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes as I pace nervously. "Hey kiddo!" He shouts, snapping me out of all my anxious thoughts. "It's gonna be chill, so stop stressin'! I wouldn't send you if I didn't think Shota could take care of ya and the others!"

I walk hastily over to him and pull him into a tight hug, resting my chin on his shoulder. As usual, he smells like leather with a twinge of alcohol. He typically has a drink or two with some of his colleagues from the studio after his show, so I don't doubt he's hungover, but Mic is surprisingly never brought down by it. He stays his normal, loud, cheerful self.