Chapter 13: Echolocation

The next day of school is cancelled so we can rest and recuperate after the attack. I spend most of the morning in bed, watching Disney movies until Mic calls me to practice. Once again, I eat minimal food, but I promise to myself I will eat a large dinner. I can get away with it if I say I don't want to inhibit my training, right?

Starting our training, he tells me to practice my newest skill to strenghten my endurance. We stand across from each other as I close my eyes and focus on every square inch of the room. This attack is powerful, but it comes at the price of me closing my eyes, forcing my guard to be down for the second before the activation of my quirk. 

I illuse white noise from every point of the room, allowing it to flow freely around itself like a liquid. I feel my hair drifting around my face as well as my clothes moving around me, as though I am under water. With this activated, I can feel the location of every wall, person, and object in the room. We call the attack "Echolocation."

"Right now, it just feels like humid air! Try to interact with something! Something light though! Don't wanna strain yourself!"

With a wrenching feeling in every muscle in my body, I send a pulse through the white noise to Mic's jacket. Through the noise, I can feel it moving more. 

I feel through the sound that Mic is opening his mouth and quickly brace myself for his enthusiastic voice. This causes my focus to dwindle and my hair falls back to the sides of my head, the sound faltering and stopping my attack altogether

"GOOD JOB, KOTO!!" he raves, coming over to my side. 

I did it! I actually interacted with something!! I can't hide the smile on my face as he wraps me in a hug. 

"Do it again!!" He enthuses. 

I activate my Echolocation once more with renewed vigor. It feels as though the sound is an extension of my body. Despite the taxing effects on my energy, I find being able to move multiple objects at once feels natural to me. 

Curious, I fill the space with the first few cords of a song that's been in my head lately. The air teems with activity and I feel my body being lifted from the floor, truly floating through the liquified sound. 

"STOP STOP STOP!!!" Mic's voice shouts and I quickly release my hold on the sound, panicked. My body falls through the air and he lunges to protect my head as I collapse onto the lightly padded floor. Breathing becomes labored for me as I try to let out a breath. Inhaling, something thick enters my lungs and I turn over to hack it out into the ground. Below me, a splatter of blood and spit coats the floor and my hands. 

"You're going to have to strengthen your endurance even more before you attempt that again," he says very sternly. I'm taken aback by his tone, but when I look over to him, his smile is still on his face. "But that was very impressive Koto! NOW YOU KNOW A LARGER EXTENT TO YOUR POWER!!! KEEP TRAINING AND YOU'LL GET A HOLD ON IT!!"

He helps me to the bathroom so I can clean myself up before I sneak back to the training room to keep practicing. Of course, just with the light white noise to not strain myself too hard. 

•°•°•°•

The next day, students excitedly discuss the story on the news about our class being attacked. They should be shaken up, but they just look excited to have screen time.

"We're big deals," Kaminari leans back in his chair, addressing Kirishima and Sero. He might be including me in the conversation, but I don't know. "Those news channels love us. We're basically celebrities."

"Yeah, it's kinda crazy, right?" Kirishima adds. 

"Get over yourselves," Tokoyami addresses them. "The hero course that pumps out pros was attacked and that's what they care about."