Chapter 10: Combat Training - Part 1

The next day, our morning starts out with our basic academic classes. We have math, science, and English. Uncle Mic is teaching English. As he walks into class, I pray he won't say anything to blow my cover. Thankfully, as the class continues, he's only focusing on the curriculum and only calls on the students that raise their hands. Mostly, it's Yaoyorozu, Iida, and Midoriya, so I'm free to take notes without worrying about being called on.

Today, since everyone is actually in their seats, I'm able to see who is sitting around me. Iida sits directly to my right, Tokoyami sits to my left, and a pointy-headed boy I still have yet to talk to sits behind me. So far, he has kept silent and he seems to be quite timid. I decide I won't have to worry about him sitting behind me. But who knows? That opinion could change.

Throughout the lecture, I sneak glances at the boy behind me and to my left. He keeps his eyes trained on the board. I can't tell what he's thinking, but I'm hoping it's not some way to reveal my secret. Anxiety continues to clench my stomach and my hands are sweating onto my paper and soaking it.

Ugh, this is so gross. Why can't I just keep my cool?

Eventually, we make our way to the cafeteria for lunch. I only order white rice and broccoli, writing it on the whiteboard I've become accustomed to bringing everywhere. I take my small tray and sit at one end of an empty table, seeing as the rest of my class is still in line. I pick at my rice with chopsticks, lifting each grain to my mouth individually. I don't know how much food I will be able to keep down, especially with our hero training in the afternoon.

A tray is placed at the seat next to me and I look over to see Ojiro. He offers me a small smile before sitting down. Shoji and Tokoyami take the seats across from us. I notice some other people joining our table. The purple midget sits next to Shoji and immediately starts a conversation, sneaking glances in my direction. His gaze makes me uncomfortable. Two guys, whose names I can't recall, sit as well as the guy who sits behind me. I recognize one as the French boy. He immediately introduces himself as Yuga Aoyama. The others, Koji Koda who can talk to animals and Rikido Sato who gains super strength from eating sugar, are also introduced. The midget introduces himself as Mineta, his eyes taking in my body. I shiver in discomfort. Yeah, him and I are gonna have a problem.

With eight sitting at our table, there is no more room to sit as Uraraka walks by with Midoriya and Iida. Shock crosses her face for a brief moment before I sign a quick "sorry." She nods and points to the table across the aisle from us, saying something to the boys. They both nod in agreement and follow her to the table.

She looks across at me and I quickly sign to her, "I really am sorry. They just all sat down."

"No no, really it's fine. I'm glad you're making friends," she signs back with a smile, though it doesn't really reach her eyes.

I give her my guilty puppy dog eyes and she can't hide her genuine smile. The boys look at her, confused, but she brushes them off, returning her focus to her food as I do the same. I notice Todoroki walks over to their table with a tray and sits at the opposite end. He surely just doesn't want to make small talk. Thank goodness Mic was right.

I take a bite of broccoli. Nobody at our table is particularly talkative except for Aoyama. I take a deep breath, glad I probably won't have to explain myself.

"So what's your quirk, then?" Sato says, directing everyone's attention towards me.

So close!

"I have been wondering about this as well," Tokoyami says, hand placed below his beak in a pensive posture. "We all saw you throw the softball exceptionally far and manage to break the ground beneath your feet with the long jump, though you did not use the same force with your other distance related tests. Let us not forget when that sound came from you during the grip strength test."