Chapter 84: Provisional License Exam - Part 3

Koto's POV

"For the 100 of you who passed the first test, please turn your attention to the screen," the announcer says from the intercom. I, along with the rest of my classmates, gaze at the screen as it shows multiple different shots of the test arena.

Without warning, a building explodes and begins to crumble, followed by many more structures. We all call out in shock as the arena begins to look more like a warzone than before.

"There's only one more round to the exam," Mera continues. "Your goal is simple: undertake rescue exercises and save the bystanders who are trapped in these disaster sites. Use this time to show us how you will carry out successful rescue procedures once you receive your provisional licenses. Treat this as though it were the real thing."

The man introduces a group of actors, the HUC, who are dressed as bystanders. Apparently they'll be scoring us based on how well we "save them."

In the ten minutes before this part of the exam starts, our class starts strategizing. Of course Shoji is going to be our main reconnaissance person, searching for any victims, though Koda will also be able to help. The job the strategists gave me is to help move rocks and debris around and create a path for the so called injured.

I hang out with Ochaco as the rest of our classmates chat and plan. We overhear something about a Shiketsu student attacking Midoriya while naked, so I can sense a little tension rising in my friend. I'm careful to calm her down as a group of students from that school approach us.

"Bakugo," the one covered in hair greets, only to be met with the boy's usual cold response. "I think you met Shishikura in the test. My classmate with the flesh-molding power?"

I suppress a shudder just thinking about a quirk like that. I can't begin to imagine what sort of fight went down. Turning back to my brunette friend, we discuss techniques on how to most efficiently move rubble until the exam starts.

I steel my nerves as the room once again opens up to the arena, the announcer narrating the situation. As I understand it, we're treating this as if the first responders have been barred from entry to the mock city, so we must lead the rescue efforts. As soon as we're released, I charge out of the room with my classmates.

"Let's start by heading to the closest urban area," Iida calls out, leading the team. "We'll work as a team as much as possible."

I recognize that in an area with so much debris, large teams may be helpful, but I can't help but think we'll save the most people if we divide and conquer. If my brief time in Hosu taught me anything, it was that people can be trapped anywhere and may not always survive the time it takes for heroes to get there. I shudder as I recall the hoard of people I had coaxed out of debris with Panic; the innocent civilians that couldn't be saved even when out in the open.

I notice Bakugo runs off in another direction with Eijiro and Kaminari on his tail. As always, him and his team of bros. My redheaded friend turns, beckoning me to join them, but I have to shake my head. My job is to stay with Ochaco.

It's not too long before we find our first victim. The little boy's cries catch Midoriya's attention and the whole group rushes over. He crouches on the ground, screaming, "my grandpa! He's been crushed! I think he's hurt!"

"Oh, no," Midoriya exclaims upon reaching the boy. "This looks bad. Where is he?"

I mentally facepalm as the boy sits up, all pretense of being scared gone. He goes on a lengthy rant, chastising the trainee hero on his wording. Of course a scared, hurt child wouldn't want to hear that coming from the people who are supposed to save him. Midoriya smacks himself in the face, saving me the trouble of doing it myself, and seems to reset, telling the "injured child" that everything is fine and volunteering to bring him to the first aid station.