Chapter 27: Culinary Classes

------Author's Note------

Hey guys!

So of course, since Koto is with people who don't know sign language, she's going to be illusing much more to communicate. For the most part, I'm just using "illuse" as a replacement for "say" whenever she has any dialogue. Just assume if I use any other verbs like "ask" or "respond" that she's using her quirk for that. Tbh I'm just including this because in this chapter and some after, I forgot that she was mute and had to go back and fix it. Whoops.

So yep. Just a reminder.

Enjoy the story!

•°•°•°•

After a long day of quirkless hand to hand combat training against Shinso, who really has no clue what he's doing, we go out to the greenhouse to harvest vegetables for dinner. There are no chefs on the premises, so we have to cook for ourselves. Nyikang believes no hero should live without the basic knowledge of cooking. 

Thankfully, I'm already pretty skilled at cooking because Shinso is struggling and Nyikang isn't helping. It's "learning by doing," apparently. 

"And then, you carve around the inside to get all the seeds out," I illuse while cutting out the center of a bell pepper. 

"But why are you holding it like that? What if I cut myself?" He asks, picking up his own pepper. 

"Just...don't and you'll be fine," I respond, shrugging my shoulders. I turn to lean against the counter, watching his movements. "I'm right here if you need help."

"This is taking too long. Yamada, why don't you do that illusing thing you do to guide him," Nyikang suggests. 

I whip around to face him, eyes wide. "I've never done something like that before," I protest. 

"Yeah, can we maybe not try that while I'm holding a knife?" Shinso asks, concern evident in his voice. He lifts the knife to accentuate his point. 

I grab his forearm and lower the blade. "Don't gesture with the knife," Nyikang and I say at the same time. 

"Yeah, okay okay," he turns back to his cutting board. "I'll just cut the pepper. No need to try anything."

"Then hurry up and get on with it, yeah?" Nyikang leans against the doorway of the kitchen, arms crossed. 

Shinso takes a deep breath and starts cutting the pepper. He gets the core out and looks at me expectantly. I give him a small smile and pat his shoulder, then turn and show him how to cut the rest of it. 

Thankfully, he does well with the rest of the vegetables. I have to watch over his shoulder (more like around his shoulder because he's too tall for that) while he cooks to make sure he doesn't burn anything. Soon enough, we're sitting at the counter, a plate full of food each. 

"I'm taking mine to my office," Nyikang says, carrying his plate out the door. "We're going on patrol in 45 minutes. Be ready in your hero costumes by then."

The door closes behind him, leaving Shinso and I alone in silence. 

He glances at me before picking up his chopsticks. "He does realize I don't have a hero costume, right?" The boy asks me, purple eyes flickering with genuine concern as he brings a piece of zucchini to his mouth. 

I shrug, digging into my own food. "He seemed pretty aware of your situation. He probably has something lined up for you. Did you check the closet in your room?"

He pauses. "Wait, we have closets?"

"Behind the other door. What did you think was through there?"