Chapter 76: One Day More

Bakugo's POV
(Tuesday the 30th)

I head back inside as the extras attack Curly with hugs. It's not like she's the one that left or anything, I think as I sit on the couch and scroll through my phone. My favorite brand is releasing a new skull shirt. 

She put us through all of that and now they're gonna welcome her back? As if.

I hear the door open and talking fills the room as my classmates return. They have concern in their voices, but I don't really care. 

"Why do you hide your scar all the time? You don't have to hide it from us!" I hear the voice of the invisible chick say. I look up from my phone, feeling my heart pounding for some reason. Maybe one of those extras screwed up cooking this morning and I mixed my food up with theirs. I swear if they got me sick…

I watch as Curly looks around in horror. As a matter of fact, her hair isn't actually curly right now. Why did she straighten it again? Now I need to think of a new nickname. Mute obviously doesn't work anymore, I think. 

Pinky steps forward. "Toru, I told you not to tell anyone!" She turns to her friend with sad eyes. "Todoroki told us."

I clench my teeth as Half 'n Half shrugs. Curly excuses herself and pushes past them, shoulders hunched. What an idiot. Don't those fuckers understand she hid it for a reason?

She goes into the elevator and as the doors close behind her, the others look around at each other with uncomfortable expressions. What did they think would happen?

"Should someone go talk to her?" Tail asks. 

"She obviously didn't want people to know about it," Emo Bird remarks. "It wasn't our business to know. We should apologize."

"Not right now," Half 'n Half tells them. "She probably wants to be by herself after everything. She has to unpack anyway. Let's not give her trouble. She'll come to us when she wants to talk, I'm sure."

Pink Cheeks shares a glance with Kirishima. I'm sure they also know that's not true, but the rest of our class moves on anyway. I go back to my phone. 

•°•°•°•

After dinner, Curly still hasn't left her room. 

"She probably went to sleep," Half 'n Half says to everyone. "She'll get food when she wants it."

Dumbass. Nobody's going to visit her 'cause everyone's listening to him. What do they know? She said she likes people to sit with her. 

I pause, blinking a few times. I didn't even realize I remembered that. Not that I'm gonna be the one to do that, though. 

I push back my chair and go outside. The air is uncharacteristically cool, especially at night. I guess it's just a brief cold snap before fall. The cold breeze brushes across my skin. On the deck in the back, there's a good view of the lawn where fireflies are swarming around. I've never understood what Curly said about them looking pretty. They're just bugs. 

Speaking of Curly, I hear something coming from her balcony, like someone singing. 

Like when she was singing by the campfire. Could she always talk? Or was she using her quirk? Or by some crazy chance… did she get her voice back?

I descend the stairs and walk over to the left side of the building. A couple stories up, I see bare feet dangling off a balcony. A quiet song rings out through the night, though it's not her voice. She's illusing a couple of voices, a man's warbling tenor and a pure, crisp woman's soprano.