I guess I'll get started...

Tahari

I sighed as I pondered on what I should say to her, I didn't want to dig myself into a hole but depending on how she takes whatever I tell her will determine it or not. "He is just a friend from school mama, nothing more", I said softly.

She nodded as she carried on with her indignant stare. She slowly rose from her seat."Tahari, don't you dare lie to me. Now this is the second time that I've seen you getting out of the car with this boy. What if your father would've caught you getting out the car with that boy Tahari?", she queried in an exasperated tone. "And to top everything off, I saw your little friend dressed inappropriately with her business hanging out. Speaking on the fact that the both of you left together, why wasn't she in the car with you, matter of fact where did y'all head to anyway Tahari?", my mother questioned never taking her gaze away from me.

I sighed because I wanted to speak some type of truth to her. I hate to lie but it was quite distinct that I wasn't going to tell the whole truth. "We went downtown to Wing Snack, we wanted to try out their food", I said softly.

She nodded. "And how did y'all manage to get downtown?", she queried still holding that exasperated tone.

"We caught the bus mama.", I responded .

"So the both of you caught the bus and headed downtown and it slipped your mind to tell me that y'all were going that way and evidently there's more to the story. Y'all had to had gone somewhere else, who walks around dressed in such a manner, I know it wasn't just for no Wing Snack. Briana came over here this morning dressed appropriately and return a while later half naked. So I'm starting to think that y'all met up with some boys and did God knows what. Yesterday it was 2 boys in the car and you and Briana and today it's only you and a boy, you left with Briana but came back alone, so she's with that other boy isn't she and Tahari you better not lie to me.", my mother fussed.

My heart pounded through my chest as I gazed down at the floor. I sighed. "Yes mama, she is with that boy but mama I can't control what she does and I can't control how she choose to dress.", I responded.

"Yeah, you're right but at the same time you're letting that little hot tail girl influence you.You caught the bus and headed downtown, you know that your father and I don't want you down that way. You know how dangerous it is down yonder. I know it wasn't your idea but you're letting that filthy child get you in trouble, walking around like she's a grown ass woman, strutting her body to the public and to some boy, she's an ignorant child and I'd be damned if I let you be around that any longer. From this day on, there will be no more hanging out with no Briana, she is not welcomed in my home because she clearly doesn't respect herself, so she definitely doesn't respect me, my family nor my home and I will be contacting her mother.", my mother said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "But mama, she's my best friend-", I said as my mother cut me off.

"Tahari shut your mouth, you heard exactly what I said and you will abide by my rules. And as for these boys the both of you've been riding around with, I better not catch you getting out of that car again, you hear? If I see that again, I will take it as disrespect and I will not hesitate to put my hands on you, now you are to only go straight to school and come straight home. There's no me time on the weekends, all you'll need to be doing is studying. There will be no friends allowed over here either. Now go upstairs and start working on your report.", my mother said as she took a seat back on the couch.

I wasn't in the position to even to try to go back and forth. I completely messed up and dug myself into a hole, I should've never went anywhere with Briana. I slowly walked towards the stairs. Just as I began to make my way up the stairs my mother spoke which caused me to stop in my tracks. I gazed at her. "I will be letting your father know as soon as he gets home.", she said casually.

I gazed at her for a moment before she spoke. "You can go to your room now.", she said with her heavy accent.

I sighed as I made my way upstairs to my bedroom. I closed my bedroom door behind me and sat down on my bed. I rested my elbows on my thighs just as I rested my head in my palms. I began to cry silently. My streaming warm tears began to soak my palms but I only carried on with my tears. Today has only traveled down hill for me. My best friend changed on me because of a guy, just yesterday we were on good terms. I definitely regret her ever crossing paths with Devin. I managed to infuriate a murderer because I didn't know how to bite my tongue. I disappointed my mother and even if Briana and I were to patch up what happened today, my mother definitely wouldn't approve of it and my mother is going to tell Briana's mother what she saw her wearing and everything I've said, so I definitely feel that I lost my best friend off bat for snitching but to top everything off; my mother is going to tell my father all that has happened. I'd be lucky if I be off of punishment in 3 months. I just wish that I could rewind today. As I dwelled off deeper into my thoughts I heard my cell chiming from my back pocket.

I took my head away from my palms as I sat up straight. I wiped my wet palms off on my shirt and slightly lifted my body up so I could get my cell out of my back pocket. I gazed at the screen to see that it was my other best friend Jade calling. I answered and placed the phone to my ear. "Hello.", I spoke softly as I wiped away a tear that managed to escape.

"Hey Tahari Hari", Jade said happily.

I sighed. "Hey Jade.", I said trying not to make it evident that I was at a crying state.

"Tahari?", Jade said in a concerned manner."Are you alright, sounds like you've been crying. ", Jade queried.

I sighed as more tears came about. I'm not one to cry so much, no I'm not weak but today has taken a toll on me. "J-Jade, I have so much to tell you that I don't really know where I should start.", I spoke into the phone as I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I completely ignored the footsteps.

"What's going on Hari, you know you can talk to me.", Jade spoke sincerely. "I know we haven't talked much these past couple of days but I do apologize for it, I've been busy prepping myself for the SATs but you have my full attention babe, what's wrong?", she spoke.

Before I could respond, my door flung open and in came my mother, walking towards me with her hand out. "Give me the phone.", she spoke sternly.

I sighed. "I'll talk to you later", I said to Jade right before passing the phone to my mother. I gazed down at the floor as my mother began to speak.

"Tahari, I don't know what possessed you to even think that it was okay for you to get on your cell after I put you on punishment.", she said as she put her hand on her hip."Now start on your report.", she said right before exiting my bedroom, closing the door behind her.

I guess I'll get started...