The History of Math...

Tahari

Benjamin Franklin High School
2001 Leon C. Simon Drive
New Orleans, Louisiana 70122

2:05 pm...

As I sat in last period, AP Calculus II, I caught myself feeling rather exhausted. I've been a bit apprehensive lately. A week and a half ago, my father mentioned that one of his colleagues saw me downtown, while trying to search a home without probable cause and that is definitely something I have to act clueless of. It wasn't me, it was just someone who favors me. I wasn't thinking of myself at the time but only thinking of a way to keep NOPD away from Sina and A.j for the time being.

I've been letting stress drain me dry ever since that day. I don't want my father finding out that I oftentimes visit with Sina at his home nor do I want Sina finding out that my father is who he is. From the little that I do know, Sina is no fan of my father. This whole situation definitely had me stuck between a rock and a hard place. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll look at me as a pawn in cahoots with my father and that is not the case at all. On top of it all, I am very afraid for Sina, with so many people after him, there's a cloud of death following him around the city. A minor slip up can cause him life in prison or even death and that would honestly tear me apart. Despite the tough exterior, he is growing on me. Something deep down inside of me wants to be protective of him and that I will be. Although my mind has been clouded with a variety of stressful things, I've been up all night writing a paper that was due earlier this morning in Philosophy...

The paper was on Berkeleianism the philosophy and beliefs of George Berkeley denying the existence of the real world. Much research was needed. The only thing on my mind was if I aced it or not. Although I held a perfect GPA, philosophy was rather challenging, unlike my other classes. Don't get me wrong, I am confident that I did okay, however my philosophy teacher is always hard on me because I am one of those students which who strives for perfect but my teacher doesn't believe in perfect on the count of my work.

I slightly tapped my pencil on my composition book which laid open on my desk. I couldn't really focus on what was going on because all I could think of was Sina. Knowing him for this short period of time, it's apparent that he does things no matter the time of day. Anything could be going on at this very moment and I would be clueless because I'm here. I sighed as I set my pencil down on my desk before resting my right elbow on it. I relaxed my head in my right palm. Exhaustion and worry dressed me terribly.

Mr. Robinson was going on and on about the History of Math, which was nothing new to the students, he talks about this every other day; I'm guessing to see who pays attention, however it's quite evident that no one does, well not anymore at least.

"Alright everyone please take out a piece of paper and take notes.", Mr. Robinson insisted as he stopped his casual pacing and dug his hands into the front pockets of his slacks.

The majority of the class let off a sigh...

Mr. Robinson let out a sly chuckle before speaking."Come on class, I shouldn't be the only one who cares about your future.", He said as he studied our faces.

I sighed before getting more comfortable in my seat. I took my gaze away from what was going on in the classroom and reached into my pocket for my cell. I just had to text him, just to know that he was alright. I haven't talked much to him lately but I did keep him in prayers. I scrolled through my contacts until I came across his name.