You're not as dumb as I thought

Sina

Sad millionaire by Luniz blasted through the speakers of my ride. The amplifiers were lit and with that I nonchalantly bobbed my head as I cruised through the hot streets of the Nola. As I approached a stoplight, I took a look through my rear view mirror and noticed that an opp was behind me. Naw, I wasn't afraid but the shit definitely had a nigga alert. I brushed it off and took my attention away from my rear view mirror and waited for the light to change. Just as the light turned green, I was off. The opp followed behind my shit for a good minute until the nigga decided to turn off.

I reached into my pocket and effortlessly pulled out my cell. I took my eyes away from the road for a quick second as I searched for a certain contact in my phone. I pressed call and held the phone up to my ear with my right hand as I drove with my left hand. After a few more rings I spoke into the phone. "What's up mama, what you up to lady?", I queried.

"Hey yung, I'm finishing up these few dishes, gettin ready to cook in a minute. What are you up to?", my mother questioned.

"I'm on my way to you, I was already out", I spoke into the phone as I continued to drive.

"Okay yung, I need to dry these dishes, I'll talk to you when you get here.", my mother said.

"Aight mama.", I spoke.

"Alright yung.", she said as she ended the call.

I took the phone away from my ear and placed it back into my pocket and continued driving. After about 5 minutes I approached my mama's house. I pulled into her driveway and parked behind her car. I took the key out of the ignition and got out of the car. I walked along the walkway to my mother's house until I made my way up the few stairs of the porch. I opened the screen door and let myself in since the storm door was already open. The only thing that hit me was the good aroma of food lingering in the air. I walked into the kitchen to see my mama placing an aluminum pan into the oven.

I walked over to her just as she closed the oven's door. "What's up mama.", I greeted as I kissed her forehead. "Hey yung", she said smiling as she grabbed a fork from the counter and began flipping what I believe to be chicken in the grease. I wrapped my right arm around her shoulders."What all you cookin mama?", I questioned as I kept my attention on the chicken she was turning over.

"Buttermilk fried chicken, jalapeno baked macaroni, collard greens, cornbread and candied yams, now, I was thinking about making shrimp stew but I didn't want to make too much food.", my mother stated.

Damn that instantly made a nigga hungry...

I chuckled."You cuttin up in here huh, what's the occasion lady?", I asked as I took my arm away from her. I made my way to the kitchen table, pulled out a chair and took a seat.

"No occasion, just felt like cooking. I was thinking about making a peach cobbler too, what you think?", my mother queried as she gave me a quick smirk before putting her attention back on frying that chicken.

I smiled. "You throwin down ain't you, that peach cobbler gone hit the spot, gone head and make that there.", I said as I noticed a pile of open mail on the table.

I furrowed my eyebrows once I noticed that they were overdue bills from The bank of New Orleans, New Orleans sewerage and water board and energy. I sighed as I gazed at the price of each bill. That'll break me about 2 grand but it's nothing, I got it. As I set the bills back down, I began to think of how I was going to talk her into taking the money.

"Your brothers are stopping by too yung, so don't you go trying to make a plate and leave so soon, hear.", my mother said as she took some of the chicken out the pan and placed it on The Times-Picayune news paper.