Homicide by Shooting...

New Orleans, Louisiana shooting
New Orleans Police Department
Radio communications...

Dispatcher: 30S Unit 45...

Detective: 10-5, go to, copy...

Dispatcher: 30S entry 45, first shooting at the 700 block of East Iberville St. They're saying there was a shooting and a child was wounded...

Detective: I'm in route, copy...

________

2:55 pm...

With the smell of coffee lingering throughout my vehicle, I clenched my jaw as I put the radio back onto it's base. I gripped the steering wheel as my mind cluttered with who could be behind the slayings that's been happening around New Orleans. I am more than determined to crack this case. I can't sit around with my own assumptions, in order to get the evidence, I'll have to do some deep digging but I am almost 100% positive that the number one suspect I have in mind is behind this. "Detective?", interrupting my thoughts, Detective Donelson spoke.

I irately sighed before I chose to respond. "Yes Detective Donelson?", I questioned never taking my attention from the road ahead of us.

She pressed her lips together before speaking. "I've been meaning to ask, have you had any luck on the case regarding Deandre Williams? Any evidence of any sort?", she queried.

"Not necessarily but I am sure that August Alsina has something to do with that as well as what just happened in Iberville", I said in a matter of fact tone.

She nodded. "Or what if you're wrong? You could be so focused on trying to take him down when there is a possibility that it could be someone else, Detective.", she said and with that I irately gazed at her before placing my attention back on the road..

"Detective Donelson, I've been head of the division for almost 10 years and prior to that I've been in the force for well over 20 years. With that being said, I was never wrong with assumptions that I conjured up. I was driven by assumptions and with that, evidence began to, in the smallest form, fall into my lap and never did I not crack cases and put these murderers, drug dealers and as well as the deserving behind bars. The difference between you and I sergeant, I've been around and I've made moves based off the obvious. I've done research from files down to these murderers parent's backgrounds. As for you, you're a bit oblivious to the fact and that is why I chose to work alone. I have the slightest time to even let someone talk me out of something that is already stained.", I said in a tone of vexation. "Remember, you're tagging along for nothing more than a ride. This is no partnership Detective Donelson. If you think you can crack this case alone then be my guess and go trotting around questioning a boat load of dealers if they know who's been behind these murders, see how much you can find out, if they don't kill you first. Settle with a desk job back at the station until you find a partner.", I said candidly.

She nodded. "Detective, believe when I say that even the ones that's resting on the highest pedestal, stumble and need help for balance. The higher you are, the harder you will fall, if the simplest mistake is made. I'm definitely not begging to be your partner but the murder rate is going up and the ones behind it are becoming smarter. I question you to with all of this knowledge settling in these streets, do you honestly believe that you will get by without being touched? You are one person and with that being said, you can't necessarily watch your front and back all at once. It's evident that you done good alone years prior but things change within time. These delinquents will tear you apart just as fast as they would me as you mentioned, if I were alone. You're known around here so just like you're after these murderers. They could already be plotting against you. I have the upper hand here because I'm not known around New Orleans, so for your own safety you may want to get yourself a safe and secure desk job back at the station.", she said as she clasped her hands together and rested them upon her lap.

Touche...

I had no further argument, she made a valid point but I'm living in my ways and once I tell someone that I work alone, I mean it...

Finally approaching the 700 block of East Iberville St where the targeted house was located, I parked along the curb. As I took the key out of the ignition, Detective Donelson and I made our departure from the unmarked vehicle.

As strobe lights of the NOPD flashed along the street of this usually unfrequent neighborhood, Detective Donelson and I went our own way to collect information. I spotted Officer Collins walking towards me and I gradually put my walking to a halt. "Officer Collins", I said in a greeting manner.

He nodded before speaking. "Detective Murphy", he greeted.

"So what's going on so far?", I questioned him.

He sighed. "Well, a few of the residents spoke on a drive by shooting at this house.", he said pointing at the exact house which held bullet holes and shattered windows. "Mrs. Matthews over there", he said as he pointed me in her direction. "She'll tell you an earful, she witnessed a bit and that's throughout the years that the family of that home lived there.", Officer Collins vouched. "You're linking this case to the Deandre Williams case?", he queried.

I nodded. "I actually am, I am more than sure that these cases are linked. I'm seeing it as vengeance to the first shooting", I said. "I'm about to ask Mrs. Matthews a few questions.", I said and with that Officer Collins nodded and I began walking towards Mrs. Matthews.

The small woman who looked no older than 60 stood in front of her home and gazed at the commotion that was happening amongst her. "Mrs. Matthews", I said catching her attention. "I'm Detective Murphy", I said as I flashed her my badge. "I was hoping if I could ask you a few questions.", I continued.

She nodded. "Of course", she said in response.

I took my notepad from my pocket before grabbing the black ink pen which rested behind my ear. "I'm aware that you know of the family across the street, before this incident, were there any strange activities that you noticed that probably could've led up to this?", I questioned.

She shook her head. "No, not at all, it has always been peaceful up until today, there was never any display as such at the Alexander's home", she said in a bothered tone.

"Could you tell me what happened today?", I questioned.

"Well I was gardening and I couldn't help but notice her son sitting on that there porch with his friends.", she said.

"Were there male and females on the porch?", I questioned.

"No, just males", she stated.

I nodded. "Any cars parked in front?", I questioned.

She nodded. "Yeah, 3 cars including her son's car. The only one I was familiar with was, was the 1980 chevy caprice because my husband had a black one", she said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Could you tell me the color of the car ma'am?", I questioned.

"It was a red, a candy red", she stated.

Bingo...

"Now, just tell me what you saw", I said.

"Well, I noticed a green car slowly coming down the street and one of the boys stood up and said something and they began shooting and by then I ran into my home for safety. Once the neighborhood was silenced and the car that started the shooting left, I peeked out of the window to see her son holding his young sister in his arms. I'm not sure if she was hit and still living or if she was hit and murdered.", she said sadly. "That baby was only 6 years old... The boys got into their cars and drove off.", she said.

I nodded as I wrote more into my notepad. "One more thing and I'll leave you be Mrs. Matthews, what's the son's name?". I queried.

..."His name Aaron"...