first night back

On my train ride to Hogsmeade from London, I sat in the compartment with Stass, Theo, Alex, Blaise, and Draco. I sat by the window next to Alex with Stass sitting by the window right across from me. My legs were curled up next to me and my head was leaning against the wall of the Hogwarts Express. I had the book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll in my hands, reading to help make the time go by faster. The boys were passing a ball of light around with the tips of their wands while Blaise and Stass looked at themselves through Stass's handheld mirror.

    "I can't believe we'll be done in less than six months", Alex sighed. "I feel like we were all riding the Hogwarts Express for the first time last year"

    "Aw, don't get all sentimental on us, Black", Stass teased. "We're all going to be together next year at Ilvermorny"

    "If we all get in", I mumbled.

    "Stell, everyone here knows you're going to get in"

    "I applied to early admissions and plan on starting in the summer. If I don't get in, my father is going to be furious"

    "You applied for the summer?", Draco asked, sucking the light ball into the tip of his wand.

    "Yeah, I did"

    "Oh... Okay...", he said slumping into his seat, frowning.

    I don't know why Draco is upset that I will be starting a semester earlier than everyone else. It's not like we're going to be going on holiday together or hang out. I don't even plan on seeing him at all once we graduate unless I have to. Once our time at Hogwarts is over, I'm going to pack up my bedroom and move into the dorms of Ilvermorny.

    In just six months, I will be going to uni and getting a higher education, one that doesn't involve teenage boys who cheat on me every chance they get. There's going to be hundreds of wizards from all over who will make the boys at Hogwarts look like trolls. I know Stass will have a ball trying to set me up with wizards in her classes.

    This is a new year and I need to let go of everything negative in the past. I need to let go of my failed attempt to make things work with Louis and Draco's distasteful behavior towards me. With us being two years from a completely new decade and century, I just need to leave my love for Draco behind. He doesn't love me back, he clearly showed that when he called me a whore and made a childish plan with Pansy to ruin my relationship with Louis. Something else that I need to leave behind is loving people who don't love me back. I need to stop wearing my heart on my sleeve and just stick to myself. It's not worth all of the heartache to just circle around back to Draco.

    Alex got up from his seat and left the compartment to use the bathroom. Theo scooted down the seat and took Alex's. He reached into the pocket of his coat and pulled out a bag of  liquorice wands.

    "Here", he said handing one to me. "You're frowning into your book. The Cheshire Cat is not going to be happy about that", he chuckled.

    "Thanks..."

    Theo always knows how to cheer me up.

    "Did You-Know-Who ask you about you-know-what?"

    "You slept with the Dark Lord", Theo teased.

    I shut my book and hit Theo's arm with it. "Not funny", I pouted. "I'm being serious"

    "No, Stell. Draco did not remember a thing"

    "Shh", I shushed, covering his mouth with my hand. "This is a very small compartment. I don't want him suspecting anything"