truth serum

When I entered Potions with Slughorn this morning, Blaise, Theo, and Draco were already in their seats, leaving the only open one in between Blaise and Draco. Theo was sitting in the seat across from mine with his head was buried in his arms on top of the table. The hood of his school robe was pulled over his head, leaving a little golden brown curl peeking out of his arms.

    I know my comment yesterday about Theo not knowing me as well as I thought he did was kind of harsh but I didn't know how else to say it. He dated me for years and didn't even know my favorite flowers. I didn't mean to hurt his feelings and made him feel like the date was a complete bust, because it wasn't. I loved it and I thought it was cute of him to bring me out to the edge of the Forbidden Forest for a picnic. The only thing that made me doubt things working out between is the fact that it seems like he really isn't trying to make things different this time around. Not being scared of being committed to me isn't good enough. I want Theo to not only want to be with me but also contribute to making or relationship better than last time.

    "Hey", Blaise said softly tapping my arm. "Were you paying attention to Slughorn?"

    "Um... no"

    "We can't have you spacing out, Stell. You have the highest grade in this class and I'm going to need your help with the potion"

    "What potion are we brewing?"

    "Veritaserum"

    "Because this potion can be difficult to brew, I'm going to need you all to partner up", said Slughorn. "I will let you choose your own partners, but I advice you to choose carefully. This potion will take about one lunar phase before we can put it to the test"

    I looked around the table I was sitting and realized that my only choices are Blaise, Theo, and Draco. For obvious reasons, I can't choose Draco because that will complicate things. I can't choose Blaise because he can be a distraction and will probably make me do all of the work. The only person that is left is Theo. I'm hoping Theo can put what happened yesterday aside so we can brew Veritaserum together. Hopefully, brewing a potion together is going to give us more time to mend our relationship.

    "Alright class, partner up!", Slughorn instructed.

    Theo's head shot up from his arms and he immediately said, "Zabini, you're with me"

    "Okay", Blaise said shrugging his shoulders.

    "I guess that leaves us", Draco whispered to me.

    Fuck Stass for not getting an O.W.L. in Potions.

    "Do you want to... um... come closer?", he reluctantly asked.

    "Sure", I sighed.

    Draco gripped the edge of my stool and pulled me closer to him, scrapping the bottom of the steel stool across the stone floors.

    "Can you pour in the standard potioning water?", he asked lighting the burner under the cauldron with the tip of his wand.

    I grabbed the beaker that filled with 250 fluid ounces of the potioning water into the cauldron. After I placed the beaker back on the table, I sat with my hands in between my thighs and looked around the classroom, waiting for the liquid to simmer so we could continue on brewing it.

    The tension between Draco and I was so thick, you could slice it with a blade. Not even Blaise and Theo talking right next to us couldn't make the silence any less awkward.

    Since the library, Draco hasn't really spoken to me, and it's not a childish "I'm mad at you" way, it's more of a "I don't know what to even say to you" way. Sometimes he'll ask me if I could pass the salt at the dinner table or if I could let him borrow my Transfigurations textbook, but other than that, he doesn't really talk to me. I can't be mad at him because if it were the other way around, I wouldn't know what to say to him either.