Behind the smile

Play the song if you want when it tells you to

Warning: Possible Triggers (T.W)

Nobody's Pov:

Vanya and Five step outside of her apartment and Vanya closes the door behind her.
"What do you wanna tell me?"
Vanya asked him with a slightly concerned look on her face.

"Its Y/n.."
He said quietly after a few seconds,
"What about Y/n?"
"Vanya somethings wrong with her and she isn't telling me what it is"
He sighs looking down,
"I sound paranoid I know, but im worried"
He was worried for her safety because of her strange behavior lately.

"Well can you tell me what's been happening?"
Vanya asked, who was now also worried about her best friend.
Five sighs before looking at again,
"She's been zoning out lately, completely ignoring her surroundings"
He started before siting down.

"That's what happened in their earlier"
He said gesturing towards her apartment door, she nodded in understanding.
"When she zones out, she almost looks scared, like shes gonna cry"
He inhales deeply before continuing.

"And when ask her what's wrong she just shrugs off my question likes its not a big problem"
He puts his face in his hands and runs his fingers thru his short brown hair.

"Maybe she just has some anxiety?"
Vanya asks him, knowing how anxiety feels from her personal experience.
"I thought that at first to, but it keeps getting worse"
"What do you mean?"

"Well it wasn't really a problem at first, she would just sort of stare at something and when I called her name she would snap out of it immediately, but this time she couldn't even hear me"

Vanya nods, growing more and more concerned by the second.
"The other day, after the funeral.."
He starts but cuts himself off,
"What about it?"
He looks at her and tries to recall everything that happened.

"She went to her room and fell asleep, I decided to let her rest and just go downstairs but.."
"But what?"
Vanya asked raising an eyebrow.

"I walked by her room and heard something"
He sighs and lightly shakes his head ,
"She was talking in her sleep, I couldn't really make out what she was saying but I did understand a few things"

"The only words I understood were Dad, elevator, room, straps, wires and chair"
He stood up again and Vanya did as well.

"She just kept repeating the words and I had no idea what the hell was happening or why she was saying them, I was gonna wake her up but I decided she needed sleep and soon after, she came downstairs"

"What do you think is causing this?"
Vanya asked him shocked and worried.
"Im not sure, just don't ask her about it just yet, I wanna find more out first"
"Of course"
She nodded opening her apartment door, but before she could enter Five grabbed her wrist lightly.

She looked back at him,
"Thank you"
He said quietly to her,
"For what?"
She asked him slightly confused.
"For listening, I really needed to get that off my chest"
"No problem Five"
She smiled lightly before heading into her apartment and into her room.

Y/n had fallen asleep almost immediately after laying down and she had a few strands of hair covering her eyes.
Five walked over to the couch and kneeled down beside it.

He carefully tucked her hair behind her ear and kissed her forehead lightly.
"I'll find a way to understand this Love, I promise"
He whispered standing up.
"I love you, sleep well"
He said quietly before heading out of Vanya's apartment and to Meritech.

Dream/Flashback
2001
Your pov:

(I would play the song now)

"Dad, what is this place?"
The only items in the room was a chair with wires that was behind a glass wall of some sort and a table on the other side of it.
"Number 8 come here"
He ignored my question and walked over to the chair behind the glass.

I was skeptical at first, but went over to him.
"Sit"
He motioned towards the chair,
"Why?"
"No questions Number Eight"
I sat in the chair, and then Pogo came in the room.

Dad nodded his head in a way of telling Pogo to do something, he than came behind the chair and messed with some of wires behind it.
He than stood in front of me and began to restrain my hands and arms,
"Pogo? What are you doing?"
I had no idea what was going on but I was starting to get scared.

He than strapped in my legs and ankles,
"Dad what's going on?"
He didn't answer, instead he just simply left the room and sat at the table on the other side of it.
Pogo than put two wires with suction cups at the ends on each side of my head.

He than took the wires from the chair and attached them to what looked like a monitor, before leaving the glass room and sealing the door tight behind him.

I could see that Dad and Pogo were talking but I couldn't here anything that they were saying, than what sounded like a speaker turned on in the room.

"Number 8"
I heard my fathers voice echo throughout the room,
"Your power has been discovered to have surfaced more when you experience strong emotion"
I nod in understanding,
"I have come to learn that your power expands far beyond just small shocks"

"If trained well enough you should be able to manipulate shock energy all together, that includes lightning"

Hearing this brought up my spirit, my powers have never really been very useful.
All I could do was shock people when I touch them and send small bolts of electricity at people, but I always had to be in close proximity to the person or I can't do anything.
And I had my limit on my powers as well, like Five, when I use my powers to much I run out of energy and just like that I can't use my powers.

"I believe giving you a boost of energy, should bring forth all your possessed power"
I see him nod at Pogo and he walks over to some sort of monitor,
He nods at Pogo again and he turns on the machine, he then proceeded to turn some nobs and leavers.

I didn't know what was happening, and then Pogo clicked a red button.
I felt my entire body being shocked and zapped over and over.

It was the most painful thing I have ever felt in my entire life, Pogo increases the power source and my body begins to twitch and shake violently.
"S-stop!"
I pleaded to my Dad and Pogo but neither of them moved from their position.

I felt the voltage increase even more, any farther and it could kill me, I couldn't handle all this energy.

As if the world went against my wishes,  the power was increased to the highest setting, I started hearing a rumbling sound from outside the room.
It sounded like thunder.

The sound got louder by the second and than multiple bolts of lightning struck my body at once, it moved its way through my hair and body, I felt my body start to heat up quickly from the lightning and energy.
Then all went black.

Dream/Flashback over

I shot up from the couch breathing quickly and had tears streaming down my face, why was this happening to me?. I have been spacing out and reliving awful memories and I hated it.

I looked over, wanting to snuggle with Five and try to calm down but nobody was there beside me.
I knew he went to go find more clues about the eye and that he didn't want to wake me up to come with him, but I still couldn't help but be a little mad at him for leaving me.

I got up and walked over to the stove to check the time.
It read: 3:51 Am

I decided to go back to the academy and sleep in my old room before finding Five in the morning.

Time skip:

I arrive at the academy and go upstairs quietly, I reach my door and step inside the room.
I slip of my shoes and blazer before laying down on the bed and slowly falling back asleep.
I didn't even notice until now, but nobody knew about dads little experiments with me, not even Five.

I have a lot of pain hidden behind my smile.