Forty-two

George

It was an odd feeling seeing Allie spend time with my family. Seeing her joke around with Ron and embarrass him and making Harry feel awkward.

Fred and I had had quite the influence in the way Allie acts. For each day she spends with us, she starts to act more and more like a third of us.

This wasn't the first time she was here. We visited home for mum's birthday, also for Bill's birthday in November. Not for Charlie's because Charlie didn't come home for his 24th birthday. He's not coming home for Christmas either.

Allie's been complaining to me about that.

Apparently she wanted to ask him about dragons and what it would take to care for one. If she ever brings home a dragon, I'm filing for divorce. Unless we're not married yet, then I'm simply dumping her and kicking her out on the street.

I'm joking... obviously.

Currently, Allie was in the living room, discussing muggle things with my dad. He loved having someone to talk with about it. Everyone else around here have grown tired of it.

Mum loves having her around too. Allie never fails to offer her help around the house, with the cooking... anything to make mum's job a little easier.

Announcing the engagement is going to be exciting.

I've got the ring in my pocket, carrying it for her until we've announced it to my family... and Lupin and Harry who were spending the Holidays here.

"She could've done so much better."

I turned at the voice of Ginny who placed herself next to me, looking at Allie as I was doing the same.

"I never understood it, I still don't." she said, glancing at me. "She chose you? She chose you... she chose you."

"Thanks." I smiled sarcastically, looking at Allie again. "But yeah... she did."

"I just– why?" she asked. "She's so cool and you're... not."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"I ask myself that same question every single day."

"I'm gonna ask her." Ginny nodded and I cocked an eyebrow at her before she approached Allie and dad.

As Ginny said something to Allie, Allie put her attention on her and at the same time, dad decided to walk outside.

My eyes stayed to Allie's face. The way she smiled kindly at Ginny, the way her brows furrowed at the question and the way she chuckled and glanced over at me for a second before answering.

After their conversation ended and Ginny walked upstairs, Allie approached me, smiling widely. Her eyes were shining with pure happiness. When she smiled and looked at me like that, nothing else mattered. As long as I had her, as long as I was able to see that face.

"Can you hold this for me?" she asked and held out her scrunchie after pulling it off her wrist. I looked at it before I held out my hand, feeling her skin across mine as she placed it in my palm. "Just for a second."

I watched her face as she pulled her hair back and up in a tight ponytail before grabbing the scrunchie again, tying it around her hair.

"Did you know that the scrunchie was invented in eighty-nine?" she asked me softly, looking up at me while still tying the scrunchie tightly around her hair. "How old were we then?"

"I don't know." I muttered, thinking about it for a moment. "Depends on the month. We turned eleven that year, started Hogwarts."

She hummed, pulling out a few strands of hair to hang around the frame of her face before she wrapped her arms around my torso and grinned up at me.