One-hundred and seventy-six

Hi!

I really wanted to update some more last night but suddenly it was 2am and I had to be at a meeting at 10am so I went to bed.

But here it is... another chapter.

-

The Great Hall was full of students, all eyes fixed on McGonagall.

Most students had already left but there was still a lot who needed to be evacuated.

"...evacuation will be overseen by Mr Filch and Madam Pomfrey." McGonagall said. I tightened my grip on George's arm as he had them wrapped around my stomach, my back pressed to his chest. "Prefects, when I give the word, you will organise your house and take your charges, in an orderly fashion, to the evacuation point."

Most people looked terrified, and honestly, so was I, but I didn't need to show it. I didn't need to spread even more fear among the younger students. The younger students needed the adults to be calm, because if we started freaking out, so would they.

Charlotte was with the bunch of students who fled the castle as quickly as possibly, completely ignoring the plan of evacuation.

I don't care. As long as she's safe. I need Eleanor to be safe too, but she's a Silverberry — she's stubborn.

As Harry made his way down past the Gryffindor table, searching for someone — probably Ron and Hermione, Ernie Macmillan stood up from where he had been sitting at the Hufflepuff table.

"And what if we want to stay and fight?"

"Exactly!" Eleanor stood up, supporting her boyfriend. "We want to fight!"

The remains of the students applauded them, and I rolled my eyes.

I wanted Eleanor to go home and stay with Charlotte and our grandparents. She turns sixteen tomorrow, she shouldn't be here in the middle of a war.

"If you are of age, you may stay." McGonagall said with a nod.

I watched as Eleanor and Ernie slowly sat back down, Ernie saying something to her that made her roll her eyes and fold her arms over her chest.

"What about our things?" A girl from Ravenclaw called out. "Our trunks? Our owls?"

"We have no time to collect possessions." McGonagall said. "The important thing is to get you out of here safely."

Well, some students had already packed up their things and left.

"Where's Professor Snape?" A girl from Slytherin asked.

"He has, to use the common phrase, done a bunk." McGonagall said, causing Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw to cheer. "We have already placed protection around the castle, but it is unlikely to hold for very long unless we reinforce it. I must ask you, therefore, to move quickly and calmly, and do as your prefects—"

She was cut short as a cold echo filled the Great hall, making me flinch. It sounded like it was everywhere, sticking to the walls and individually filling our ears.

"I know that you are preparing to fight."

Some students screamed.

"Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood."

The Hall was filled with silence, the silence that seemed too loud.

"Give me Harry Potter, and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight."

Again, the silence fell upon the Great Hall. I tilted my head back against George's chest to look at him, wanting a look of reassurance.

He gave that to me, lifting a hand to brush his knuckles over my cheekbone.

Everyone was staring at Harry who was now frozen in place under everyone's eyes.

Then Parkinson raised a shaking arm, pointing towards him.

"But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!"

In the split of a second, all Gryffindors as well as the order moved to stand in front of Harry, us joining in. Then the Hufflepuffs stood and Ravenclaw as well, all showing that we were here to protect Harry and not throw him to the wolves.

"Thank you, Miss Parkinson." McGonagall said. "You will leave the hall first with Mr Filch. If the rest of your house could follow."

The Slytherins got to their feet, following Filch out of the Great Hall.

"Ravenclaws, follow on!" McGonagall called and the under-age Ravenclaw students started leaving the room, following their prefects, though Eleanor stayed seated at the Hufflepuff table where she sat next to Ernie.

"No, absolutely not." I tried to get out of George's arms but he kept me back.

"Don't... McGonagall's got it under control." He whispered into my ear.

The rest of the tables emptied, though most of Hufflepuff house stayed behind, as well as half of Gryffindor house and some of the older Ravenclaw students as well.

"Absolutely not!" McGonagall noticed the under-age students trying to stay back. "Creevey, go! And you, Peakes!... Silverberry too!

At the same time, Harry hurried over to us as we all stood gathered together. His main focus was the Weasleys thought.

"Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Haven't you found—" Arthur spoke, looking worried, but he was cut off as Kingsley stepped up on the platform to address the remaining people who were going to fight.

"We've only got half an hour until midnight, so we need to act fast! A battle plan has been agreed between the teachers of Hogwarts and the Order of the Phoenix. Professor Flitwick, Sprout and McGonagall are going to take groups of fighters up to the three highest towers — Ravenclaw, Astronomy and Gryffindor — where they'll have a good overview, excellent positions form which to work spells. Meanwhile, Remus—"

He nodded towards Lupin, then Arthur.

"...Arthur." He nodded. "... and I will take groups into the grounds. We'll need somebody to organise defence of the entrances of the passageways into the school—"

"— sounds like a job for us." Fred grinned, indicating between George and himself, in which Kingsley nodded in approval.

"Alright, leaders up here and we'll divide up the troops!"

I ended up being put in a group with Marco and a bunch of other people as we followed Arthur onto Hogwarts grounds, getting ready to fight as soon as it was time.

I kissed George before following with the group, Marco grabbing my hand. We exchanged a tight smile, both knowing what could happen tonight.

"It'll be okay." He whispered and I nodded in response.

Of course it was.

It was going to be okay.

We were going to be okay.

"There is no knowing when they will strike." Arthur explained as we followed him outside into the courtyard. "The school is being protected at this very moment, but we all know the power of the Dark Lord. When he breaks though, we'll be ready."