Seventy-one

Allie

Ow.

Head's hurting.

Stomach's turning.

I have to throw up.

With a slight groan, I tried pulling myself up but my body fell so weak so I let myself fall back down.

"George." I croaked, closing my eyes again.

"Hey, darling." I heard his voice as he rushed to my side, crouched down where I had my head. "How'd you sleep? Last night was a bit rough, huh?"

"I need—"

He brushed his hand over my cheek, moving my hair out of my face and locking it behind my ear.

"What do you need?"

"I need to throw up." I said in a whisper. "I have to puke."

He stood up and disappeared from my sight for a moment before he returned with a bucket, holding it as I then threw up into it.

With his free hand, he gathered my hair, holding it so it wouldn't get in the way.

"You'll be okay, angel." He said. "After a good breakfast and some water, you'll feel much better."

After I threw up, George put the bucket down, and I let myself roll into my back before realising Caroline was sleeping on the bed, on the spot where George slept at night.

"Oh boy." I breathed, running my hand over my forehead before I looked up at George. "I'm never drinking again."

"No?" He questioned as he sat down on the edge of the bed. "You said that the last time you were hungover, yet here we are."

"I'm sorry." I pouted. "I don't know why I had so much to drink. I just... I don't know."

"Babe." He breathed, resting his hand against my cheek. "You need to speak to your therapist about this. I don't want the drinking to get out of hand."

I cursed under my breath, closing my eyes. I knew he was right.

"It's not that you drink all the time because you don't." He said. "It's how much you drink. That's what's getting out of hand. When the opportunity shows, you take it and you drink way more than the average person does."

I can't do this...

"Do you know the early signs of excessive drinking?" He asked. "Because I do... your dad—"

"My dad?!" She left out a laugh. "You talked to my dad about this? You could've talked to anyone in my family if you were worried, but my dad? George—"

"I didn't talk to your dad." He said. "He came to me, pointed out what I now see... did you know he was an alcoholic before he met your mum."

I sighed, but nodded.

"Yeah, I did... but I'm not an alcoholic."

"You're not." George agreed. "Your dad said the same... though I have to agree at what he said. You're on your way to becoming one."

"George, please—"

"This is how it starts. When you drink, you drink. The average woman drinks about four drinks when getting drunk and you drank way more than that last night, and other times too. Way more than four."

I'm not...

"Other signs is blacking out when drunk which I've seen you do before, but also getting angry and violent, and yesterday... you would've jumped Fred if I hadn't held you back."