Seventy-two

This'll be the last chapter before I go to bed.

Enjoy it or... don't. Anyway, you'll find out what Fred is hiding.

-

"Caroline!" I called. "Get out of the that cupboard!"

She poked her head out of the door to the cupboard in my office, looking at me and as I raised my eyebrows, she sprinted towards me and into my arms, making me laugh.

"Yeah, you know you can't play in my cupboard." I laughed as she rolled around in my arms while I petted her and scratched her tummy. "I've told you so many times but you're a stubborn little puppy, aren't you?"

There was a knock at the door to my office, and I looked up to see the door open, revealing Fred.

"Hi." I smiled. "What're you doing here?"

"I came to speak to you." He said, closing the door behind him. "I know your shift at the shop just ended an hour ago and I could've talked to you there but I needed to talk to you without George being there."

My smile slowly faded and I then frowned while Fred walked around my desk to lean against it, facing me.

"Why're you on the floor?"

I shrugged.

"Sometimes the floor is more comfortable than the chair." I said. "And sitting on the floor also makes it easier to play with Caroline when she needs attention."

He hummed in response, his eyes glued to me with this nervous expression on his face.

"What's up?" I chuckled. "Why'd you leave George with the shop to talk to me?"

"Well, I wanted to see if you remembered something that happened at the after party after Marco and William's wedding." He said, placing with his sleeve. "Apparently you heard—"

"You and Lee talk?" I asked. "No, I don't remember. The last thing I remember was the reception. You see, I got absolutely pissed at the after party... so no, I don't remember. Why? Planning on telling me?"

He shook his head.

"No, not really so..." he stood up straight. "I'll see you later."

While I continued to rub Caroline's tummy, my eyes stayed glued to Fred's back as he walked back to the door.

"Fred." I called softly, making him pause with the door open and his hand on the handle. "Close the door and come back here."

Oddly enough, he did what I told him to, slowly closing the door before turning back towards me. He took a few steps, then folded his hands in front of himself.

"What did you and Lee talk about?" I asked. "You did something. George told me I was yelling about you doing something, but then again... apparently I was scared you'd poison me."

I cracked a laugh at the thought.

"You didn't poison someone, did you?"

"What?" He laughed. "No!"

I looked down at the ring on my finger, seeing the stone stay white. I hadn't worn it for a while but it looks pretty so I decided to wear it today when I looked through my jewellery.

"Then what did you do?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the stone.

"Nothing." He told me, but the stone turned black and I looked up at him again. "I mean... no, you can't trust that thing, Allie. I didn't do anything, I—"

"The truth, Frederic." I said, holding up my hand to show him the ring. "It's bewitched with magic. Lie, and it'll turn black. You're lying to me. You did something and now you won't say what it is that you did."