xi. no one knows how i haven't been kidnapped earlier

chapter eleven

─── no one knows how i haven't been kidnapped earlier

          𝔗he only positive, was now, whenever something went wrong, I was able to blame it on the gods. For example, when you're walking away from a bus that's just blown up with monster hags on it, and it's started to rain, you can curse the gods.

So I did. Vehemently.

It rained harder in response.

We walked along the banks of the New Jersey river, surrounded by woods, getting absolutely soaked through. I shivered.

Grover was braying, his big goat eyes turned slit-pupiled and full of terror. "Three Kindly Ones. All three at once."

"We should keep going." Luke urged us along, his blond hair, a shade darker from the rain and plastered to his head. "The farther away we get, the better." 

"All our money was back there," I reminded him, the force of the explosion still rattling around in my empty skull. "Our food and clothes. Everything."

"Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight—" Annabeth growled, looking annoyed, as I sighed.

"What did you want me to do? Let you all get killed?"

"You didn't need to protect me, Andromeda. I would've been fine."

"Sliced like sandwich bread," Grover put in, "but fine."

"Shut up, goat boy," Annabeth snapped, as Luke leant forward to tap her head.

"Stop it, now," The small girl turned back to look at him, her eyes going wide and a blush forming on her cheeks. My own eyes narrowed. "Arguing isn't going to make the situation better."

Grover brayed mournfully. "Tin cans...a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

We sloshed across mushy ground, through nasty twisted trees that smelled like sour laundry.

After a few minutes, Annabeth fell into line next to me, as Grover and Luke carried on ahead. "I..." Her voice faltered. "I appreciate your coming back for us, okay? That was really brave."

"We're a team, right? We're on this quest together." I tried not to think about how confrontational she was, and instead took the higher ground as the older teenager. My mother would have been proud.

She was silent for a few more steps. "It's just that if you died...aside from the fact that it would really suck for you, it would mean the quest was over. This may be my only chance to see the real world."