lxviii. i'm slowly losing the will to live, but what's new

chapter sixty-eight

─── i'm slowly losing the will to live, but what's new

          𝕴t turns out that I sleep like I'm dead. In fact, if Luke hadn't come to get me and Tyson, both of us would have happily continued sleeping until next week.

"What did I miss?" I mumbled, as Luke shifted my weight on his back so that I was balanced more evenly.

"An Aethiopian drakon was at the borders of camp. Lee, from Apollo, scared it off," Luke squeezed my legs as I tried not to doze off on his shoulders. "What happened, Sleeping Beauty? Normally you're not this tired."

"Had an Iris message last night. Nico's alive and making poor life choices." I curled further into his neck. "I think I've been granted custody of a child."

"That's a bad idea."

"That's what I said!" I whined, before cursing the bright light and trying to fall back asleep. "Can I just skip today?"

"We've got war games tonight. Quintus' new war games, so that's gonna be a no." I heard the distant sound of the food being blessed by Chiron, before Luke set me down and gave me a shove towards my table.

"Andromeda." I waved hello at Chiron as both Tyson and I slumped at Table 3 and promptly tried not to go back to sleep. 

Once everyone else was eating, Chiron and Grover came over to visit. Grover was bleary-eyed. His shirt was inside out. He slid his plate onto the table and slumped next to me.

Tyson shifted uncomfortably. "I will go...um...polish my fish ponies."

He lumbered off, leaving his breakfast half-eaten.

Chiron tried for a smile. He probably wanted to look reassuring, but in centaur form he towered over me. "Well, Andromeda, how did you sleep?"

I gave him a thumbs up, almost falling headfirst into my cornflakes, before Luke caught my head and pulled me back upright. Where he came from, I didn't know but I was grateful for not having a face full of cereal.

"I brought Grover over," Chiron said, "because I thought you three might want to, ah, discuss matters. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Iris-messages to send. I'll see you later in the day." He gave Grover a meaningful look, then trotted out of the pavilion.

"What's he talking about?" I asked Grover.

Grover chewed his eggs. I could tell he was distracted, because he bit the tines of his fork and chewed those down, too. "He wants you to convince me," he mumbled.