xcvii. a year of failing maths prepared me for this

chapter ninety-seven

─── a year of failing maths prepared me for this

          𝔈verywhere I looked, there were fights going on

          𝔈verywhere I looked, there were fights going on. I wanted to stop, to help each and every one of them but I had bigger issues to deal with. The real action had moved farther south and our defences were collapsing.

The enemy was closing in on the Empire State Building. Blackjack and I did a loop, examining the area and where they'd need us most. 

The Hunters had set up a defensive line on 37th, to the east, on Park Avenue, Jake and his siblings were leading an army of statues against the enemy. To the west, Four and the nature spirits had turned Sixth Avenue into a jungle, hampering a squadron of Kronos' demigods. The south was clear for now, but the flanks of the enemy were swinging around  and in a few more minutes, we'd be surrounded.

"We've got to land where they need us most." I told Blackjack, before spotting a silver banner. We dove lower, and I caught sight of Annabeth and two of her siblings holding back a Hyperborean giant. "There!"

Blackjack plunged towards the battle and I leaped off, landing on the giant's head, cracking it's nose as I hit the pavement running. Ice was coating around us, despite it being the middle of summer, and I was quick to dodge away from the giant's feet.

"Hey, ugly!"

"Rude." I muttered as the giant turned towards her, showing me the unprotected back of his legs. I took advantage of that, stabbing his knee as his entire body turned to ice. Cracks appeared in his body, getting larger and wider, until he shattered and I stood back up.

"Thanks. The pig?" Annabeth winced, trying to catch her breath.

"Pork chops." I grinned.

"Good." She flexed her shoulder, wincing before seeing my eyes and trying to cover it. "I'm fine, Romy. Come on! We've got plenty of enemies left."

"If you die, Luke kills me!" I reminded her, before taking off for more of the battles. The next hour was a blur. I waded into legions of monsters, decimating them as I went and trying to avoid enemy demigods, or knocking them out if I really had to. No matter how many I defeated though, more always took their place.

We raced from block to block, shoring up our defences, trying to ignore Seven rushing back and forth with injured people. We had far too many casualties. Far too many missing.

As the night wore on and the moon got higher, we were backed up foot by foot, until we were only a block away from the Empire State Building. Grover made an appearance at one point, then he disappeared and then Thalia was at my side, driving monsters back. Mrs O'Leary was having a lot of fun, picking monsters up and lobbing them. I still hadn't seen Luke since the evening and I was getting slightly worried.