lxxxix. imagine having good mental health

chapter eighty-nine

─── imagine having good mental health

          𝕴f there was a popularity vote in camp, I'd fail it. 

The moment I stepped onto the beach, Connor (my boyfriend's brother) spotted me, running over to greet me.

"Romy! What happened? Where's Beckendorf?"

"Where's Luke?" Is my reply, not wanting to tell him Beckendorf was dead. Connor's eyebrows furrowed, looking around for a moment, before turning back to me. His eyebrows furrowed, as he seemed to catch on.

"He's at dinner..." I turned, walking up towards the pavilion as I saw people streaming out of it, coming to meet me, to tell me congratulations for a job well done though someone was dead. There's not as many campers as before, some have gone on missions and never come back, some had gone home and some, though we tried to talk them out of it, had gone to Kronos. Those left were different, changed.

There wasn't as much laughter here either.

"Andromeda!" My name was called again, and I looked up at Chiron's form. "Thank the gods. But where..."

I looked up at him and maybe he saw something in my eyes, because he stopped for a moment as I saw Luke appear behind him. I knew he'd come to camp whilst I was on the mission, and I hadn't been wrong. 

"Hey, Andi, what-" He clocks on quickly, just wrapping me into a hug as I cling to him. "You did your best."

"He died, Luke." I shook my head. "My best wasn't good enough. They couldn't find his body."

Luke says nothing else, kissing my head as I take a deep breath. No one can see me upset, none of these people, because all of them are counting on me to be able to defeat Kronos. All of them. Silena's pushing through the crowd behind us and I pull away to speak to her.

"Where's Charlie?" The old centaur cleared his throat, directing Silena's attention to him.

"Silena, my dear, let's talk about this at the Big House-"

"No..." She mutters, cutting him off. "No, no."

Tears are welling in her eyes and I don't know what to do, or how to help. We'd lost so many people, but now Beckendorf? He'd been one of our good friends, everyone's good friends. You could never find a person who disliked him. Silena was crying now, tears welling in her eyes and falling down her cheeks as Clarisse appears to comfort her, shooting me a sympathetic look in the process.

"Come on, girl. Let's get to the Big House." Clarisse helps move the daughter of Aphrodite away as everyone else disappears back to their own cabin. I knew that some of them wanted to talk to me, Annabeth shooting me a look, but Luke had waved her off, knowing that I wouldn't want that. He knew me too well.