lxxxii. somehow, i didn't cuss out a god

chapter eighty-two

─── somehow, i didn't cuss out a god

          𝕹othing was processing, all I could focus on was running through the Labyrinth, away from the dark roar of Kronos and his minions. We only stopped about half an hour later, in a tunell of wet white rock, though the feeling of turning to stone wasn't leaving me.

Rachel had slumped down, looking pale and taking gasping breath, as I slowed to a stop a little away from the others, crouching down and placing my head against the cold stone. If I closed my eyes, all I could see was the golden eyes of Kronos staring back, the feeling of not being able to move, of suffocating slowly as I waited for my death. 

I wasn't aware of the fact that I was crying, or that I was panicking, until Luke turned me around and put my head between my knees.

"Breathe, Andi. You've got to breathe." He whispered, as I choked out a gasping sob. "I know, I know."

"I couldn't move. I-I couldn't move." I whispered. "I couldn't do anything, Luke. How am I supposed to fight that? How am I supposed to win?"

A feeling of hopelessness was settling around me.

"That could have been you." I looked up at him, seeing the way his face was twisted into guilt and sadness, as my fingernails dug further into his hand. "Shit, that could have been you? What do I tell Brooke? What do I do?"

"Andi. Breathe." Luke whispered, as I took another deep shuddering breath.

"What...what was wrong with Puck? What did they do to him?" Annabeth finally spoke up, looking at me as I turned towards Luke. We shared a look, a thought, but I tried to simplify it.

"Puck gave his body up for Kronos to resurrect himself. The final piece was Ethan Nakamura pledging himself to their cause."

"No," Annabeth said. "That can't be true. He couldn't—"

"He gave himself over to Kronos," I said. 

"That means Puck is gone." Annabeth muttered, watching me.

"No." Luke shook his head. "You saw. Rachel hit him and it was Puck."

I nodded, looking at Rachel with respect. "You hit the Lord of the Titans in the eye with a blue plastic hairbrush."

Rachel looked embarrassed. "It was the only thing I had."

"But you saw," Luke turned to me, blue eyes wild. "When it hit him, just for a second, he was dazed. He came back to his senses. There's still human there."