xcii. i have favourites (don't tell zeus)

chapter ninety-two

─── i have favourites (don't tell zeus)

          𝔗he route of all evil? Central Park. Now you know.

Mrs O'Leary sniffed the air for a moment, before slumping down by an outcrop of boulders.

"She can smell the way home." Nico pointed out.

"Through the rocks? Should have known." I mutter.

"The Underworld has two major entrances in the US. The one in California, for the West Coast and then this one, for the East Coast." Nico explained. "Did you not know that?"

"Interesting." I mutter. "But it looks like a pile of rocks."

"That's because it's closed at the moment." Nico was exasperated with me now, a glare on his face. 

"Okay, so how do we open it?"

"We need music. How's your singing?" Nico turned to me.

"Great whilst in the shower. Can't you just tell it to open? You're the son of Hades and all, this is kind of your domain." I point out as he sighs.

"It's not that easy. We need music." He huffs. I think for a moment, before turning around. "What are you doing?"

"Not deafening you. GROVER!" We wait for a long time. Mrs. O'Leary is having a nap, traffic humming along Central Park West and you know, I start to think that we possibly a look a little suspicious. A twenty year old and a teenage boy in park at one in the morning with a dog.

"It's no good." Nico hissed, huffing. I waved him off. I had a feeling and my empathy link was really tingling, for the first time in months, and that normally meant that Grover was close. I closed my eyes, forcing all of my energy into connecting to my best friend.

Grover. He was somewhere in the park. I just couldn't sense him. 

There was a faint hum at the base of my skull.

Grover. An image came to my head. There was a giant elm tree further in, well off the main paths. Gnarled roots laced through the ground, making a bed and in it, with his arms crossed and eyes closed, was a satyr. I didn't think it was Grover for a moment, then I noticed the roots moving, trying to pull him into the earth. Sighing, I tried again. Count on Grover to get trapped by a tree. Grover. Wake up.

He snored.

Dude, you're covered in dirt. Wake up!

Sleepy was all I got back.

Food? I suggested. Pancakes?

His eyes shot open and I got a splitting headache from all the memories that were being flung into my head at high speed. I stumble, Nico catching me as I groan.