lxxxiii. official job title; demolition expert

chapter eighty-three

─── official job title; demolition expert

          𝕴 felt like complete shit. Getting back to Times Square didn't take that long, but with everything that had happened, climbing out of the Marriott basement and into the summer sunlight felt like waking up after being hit by a truck.

Despite popular opinion, that has yet to happen to me.

I led the way into an alleyway, one with a loud echo, before getting Luke to whistle six times for the pegasi. After many years of wrangling Eleven, he had a really piercing whistle.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by five of her friends.

You're alive! Blackjack called, before catching sight of Luke. Oh great, so is he.

"That's still my boyfriend, Blackjack, and I'm very happy he is alive." I pointed out. "Ride to camp, pronto if that's alright?"

That's my specialty! Oh, you got that Cyclops with you? Yo, Guido! How's your back holding up?

Guido groaned and complained, but eventually he agreed to carry Tyson. Everybody started saddling up—except Rachel.

"Well," she turned to me and Luke, "I guess this is it."

I gave Luke a look and he huffed slightly, before I left for Annabeth.

"You're just going to walk away and leave them to talk!"

"Annie, I trust Luke." I reminded her, squeezing her shoulders. "He's not going to do anything stupid because he does love me."

"But she's been hovering-"

"And she can only hover." I gave Blackjack's head a shove as she tried to snatch some food from my backpack. "It's a crush, and I can't say I blame her for having a crush on Luke, but that's all it will ever be. He's twenty-one, she's fifteen."

Annabeth huffed, before allowing me to help her onto her pegasus' back, before I turned to Nico, who was having trouble.

His Pegasus kept shying away from him, reluctant to let him mount.

He smells like dead people! The Pegasus complained.

Hey now, Blackjack said. Come on, Porkpie. Lots of demigods smell weird. It ain't their fault. Except if it's Luke, then it is his fault.