xxiii. the way to my heart? popcorn, music and stars.

chapter twenty-three

─── the way to my heart? popcorn, music and stars

          𝔖chool was so incredibly, mind-numbingly boring that I often wondered to myself, why didn't I stay at Camp Half-Blood and train for the rest of the year like any sane person would? But, coming home to my mum, who looked increasingly more and more happy at how her writing course was going was the exact reason why.

"How was school?" I leant over the back of her chair, kissing her cheek as she typed away at her computer. "Did you learn a lot?"

"Stop it." My mum laughed, patting my cheek and pushing me off her. "How was school?"

"As boring as usual. But, got to think about colleges and if I want to apply." 

"Have you got a degree in mind?"

"Maybe something marine biology, biology esque." I grabbed a cookie from the jar, sitting opposite her as I talked. "Something to do with animals and the sea would be fun."

"You'd enjoy that." My mum nodded. "What did school say?"

"Don't disturb your inner energy, Andromeda." I waved my arms in front of me in a somewhat accurate representation of my teacher, as my mother laughed. 

"He didn't."

"I swear he did." I grinned. "Course, it might have been; don't push yourself too hard, Andromeda."

"You're just using that as an excuse to not do work."

"Absolutely." I winked, walking to my room before pausing as I checked my phone again. "Also, I'm...uh...out tonight."

"You're out? With who?" My mum questioned, turning her full attention onto me as I turned back to face her.

"A friend from camp."

"Oh, what's her name?"

"Luke." I nodded slowly, as my mother's grin turned teasing.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"What are you two doing?"

"Good question." I nodded, before finally breaking at her stare and spilling everything. "I won't lie to you, mum, I'm going on a date with Luke from camp who went on the quest with me. He's picking me up at 6pm, I won't be back until late. We good?"

"We're good." My mum laughed. "Just wanted to see how long it took you to break."

"That's cruel." I slammed the door, before letting out a nervous breath as I ran my hands through my hair. I needed to shower, do my makeup, change my clothes and then not stress whilst I waited for Luke to pick me up. We'd already done the most nerve wracking part, confess, but somehow, this felt worse.