xxxviii. should friends be encouraging murder from me?

chapter thirty-eight

─── should friends be encouraging murder from me?

          𝕸y heart felt like it had stopped in my chest, blood rushing through my ears as I stared at Polyphemus, who was holding Luke in the air as if he weighed nothing.

"Hah!" the Cyclops said. "Nasty invisible boy! You gotta be grilled with mango chutney!"

Luke struggled and I could see the panic, clear as day, in his eyes. I was reminded of the story he told me about being held captive by the Cyclops in Brooklyn, where he and Thalia were held up by their feet, tricked into trying to help the others. He was reliving it all in that moment.

"I'll rush him," I whispered to Clarisse. "Our ship is around the back of the island. You and Grover-"

"No way," they said at the same time. Clarisse had armed herself with a highly collectible rams-horn spear from the Cyclops's cave. Grover had found a sheep's thigh bone, which he didn't look too happy about, but he was gripping it like a club, ready to attack.

"We'll take him together," Clarisse growled. "All three of us."

"Yeah," Grover said. Then he blinked, like he couldn't believe he'd just been included in that plan.

"All right," I said. "Attack plan Macedonia."

They nodded. We'd all taken the same training courses at Camp Half-Blood. They knew what I was talking about. They would sneak around either side and attack the Cyclops from the flanks while I held his attention in the front. Probably what this meant was that we'd all die instead of just me, but I was grateful for the help.

I hefted my sword and shouted, "Hey, Ugly!"

The giant whirled toward me. "Another one? Who are you?"

"Put down my friend. I'm the one who insulted you."

"You are Nobody?"

"That's right, you idiotic piece of shit!" I growled. "I'm Nobody and I'm proud of it! Now, put him down and get over here. I want to stab your eye out again."

"RAAAR!" he bellowed.

The good news: he dropped Luke. The bad news: he dropped him headfirst onto the rocks, where he lay motionless as a rag doll. I couldn't even see if he was breathing, which only made me panic more.

The other bad news: Polyphemus was barrelling toward me, a thousand smelly pounds of Cyclops, that I would have to fight with a very small sword.

"For Pan!" Grover rushed in from the right. He threw his sheep bone, which bounced harmlessly off the monster's forehead. Clarisse ran in from the left and set her spear against the ground just in time for the Cyclops to step on it. He wailed in pain, and Clarisse dove out of the way to avoid getting trampled. But the Cyclops just plucked out the shaft like a large splinter and kept advancing on me.