lxxviii. maybe i should have sent a postcard

chapter seventy-eight

─── maybe i should have sent a postcard

          𝕳ours later, my raft washed ashore at Camp Half-Blood, which went against a lot of logic, but you know, I was home so I wasn't complaining.

When I landed, the camp seemed deserted. It was late afternoon, but the archery range was empty. The climbing wall poured lava and rumbled all by itself. Pavilion: nothing. Cabins: all vacant. Then I noticed smoke rising from the amphitheatre. Too early for a camp-fire, and I didn't figure they were roasting marshmallows. I rushed toward it.

Before I even got there I heard Chiron making an announcement.

"—assume she is dead," Chiron said. I stopped in my tracks. "After so long a silence, it is unlikely our prayers will be answered. I have asked Luke to do the final honours."

I came up on the back of the amphitheatre. Nobody noticed me. They were all looking forward, watching as Luke took a long green silk burial cloth, embroidered with a trident, and set it on the flames. They were burning my shroud.

He turned to face the audience, his face pale and eyes unseeing. I'm not sure how he managed to speak, but he did, "She was probably the bravest person I've ever know. She..." Then he saw me. His eyes narrowed, anger appearing on his face as I paled. "She's right there!"

Heads turned. People gasped.

"Romy!" Beckendorf grinned. A bunch of other kids crowded around me and clapped me on the back. Clarisse looked at me incredulously, wondering how I'd survived. Chiron cantered over and everyone made way for him.

"Well," he sighed with obvious relief. "I don't believe I've ever been happier to see a camper return. But you must tell me—"

"Andromeda!" I grinned nervously at Luke's voice, watching as the crowds parted to let him through. I couldn't quite work out the look on his face, whether it was relief, or anger, or pain.

"Hi." I muttered, reaching up to pull him into a tight hug. I could feel his fingers digging into my shoulders, blond hair tickling at my skin. Closing my eyes, I allowed the feeling of comfort that I had longed for, wash over me. "I missed you."

"Don't ever, ever, do that again." He whispered, pulling back and tilting my head from side to side as he examined me, looking for scars.

"I—we thought you were dead!" Annabeth pushed forwards, eyes wide as she hugged me.