xcviii. we've got enough spies to rival the cia

chapter ninety-eight

─── we've got enough spies to rival the cia

          𝔑ow, I love my horse, I truly did, but if she kept threatening to kill Luke whilst flying towards an out of control helicopter I was going to kill her. I had enough stress in my life without her trying to add to it. It didn't help that Blackjack's murderous thoughts were accompanied by Rachel screaming from inside.

"Do you have any ideas?" I shouted to Luke, cutting Blackjack off as my horse snorted.

"Yeah, got one. You take Blackjack and get out, I'll deal." He muttered as I turned to my horse.

"There's a doughnut shop two blocks away, you pull this off and it'll be my treat." Blackjack perked up at that, pitching herself into a nose dive and almost taking Luke's head off on the rotors. I didn't have time to shout at her, because Luke was already jumping into the helicopter as we went soaring past it.

I pulled Blackjack up from her dive, watching with my heart in my throat, as the helicopter spun around, seconds away from slamming into the side of the building. Then, it righted itself, spinning in a circle and hovered.

Very slowly, it began to descend and I moved Blackjack out of the way, both of us hovering over the top of it as we watched to see what would happen. Finally, it landed in the middle of Fifth Avenue and I landed with a scowl, having caught sight of who was piloting it on the way down.

Count on it being Luke that was the one to know how to fly a helicopter.

He clambered out first, looking pale as Blackjack trotted over and attempted to bite him. I yanked her head away, clambering off and putting myself between them.

"Play nice." I hissed, pointing a warning finger at her as she huffed. "Why didn't you tell me you could fly a helicopter?"

"Because I can't." Luke pointed out, taking another deep breath. "I flew Apollo's flying chariot once, just same principle, different machine."

"You're so cool." I looked up at him with wide, awe struck eyes as he blushed.

"Thanks." He nodded before paling again. "I think I'm going to have a heart attack."

Good!

"You're not going to have a heart attack." I pointed out.

Boo! Blackjack sighed, glaring as I turned to her. What?

"Can you not?" She shook her head as Rachel appeared, looking slightly green.

"You saved my life." She turned to Luke, looking up at him with stars in her eyes as Luke got closer to me.