xciv. strategy meetings are worse than 9 am lectures

chapter ninety-four

─── strategy meetings are worse than 9 am lectures

          𝔚e'd been in battle mode as soon as I worked out that Morpheus had put the city to sleep. I'd sent Argus back to guard camp and the younger kids, before huddling the demigods up to go over the plans. Annabeth had chosen that time to reveal her newest invention based off of Dadlaeus' ideas. 

It was a shield but it used a sort of hologram technology to show us a map of New York, something that we could use to plan strategies hopefully. She and the others began to talk about it quickly, with her showing them how it worked as I called Mrs O'Leary over.

"Go and find Grover, the satyr we met in the park please." She presses her nose to my cheek, before rushing off north to go and find him.

"What I don't understand is why didn't we fall asleep? Technically, we're mortals too." Pollux stood from his place next to a sleeping policeman.

"We might be mortals, but we're not humans, not fully at least." Luke explained, setting his two toned sword, Backbiter, onto the stone as he leant partly on it. "More magic is needed to knock out the more magical beings, so us. Thin layer, takes out humans. Medium, takes out us and so on."

"You been studying, Luke? There's a first." Silena's joke is quiet as Luke chuckles, shaking his head.

"Romy. You'd better see this." We turned back to the shield, that was now showing Long Island Sound. There was a fleet of a dozen speedboats racing through the dark water towards Manhattan. Each boat was packed with demigods in Greek armor, a purple banner with a black scythe flapping above them in the night wind.

"Scan the perimeter of the island. Quick." I commanded as Annabeth shifted the scene. A Staten Island Ferry was ploughing through the waves near Ellis island, the deck crowded with warriors, telkhines swimming in the surf ahead of them. Then it shifted again, showing the Jersey shore, near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel where monsters were marching past lanes of stopped traffic including a tank.

That was just unsportsmanlike.

"What's happening with the humans outside of Manhattan? The whole state can't be asleep." Jake Mason questioned.

"I don't think so, but Manhattan is totally asleep." Annabeth confirmed. "Then there's like a fifty-mile radius around the island where time is running real slow. The closer you get to Manhattan, the slower it is."

"Kronos." I summarised, looking at Luke. He nodded. "He's slowing time."

"Hecate might be helping too. She could send them away from Manhattan." Katie Gardner pointed out. It would make sense, Hecate would help her son.