lxxx. luke is convinced i have a death wish

chapter eighty

─── luke is convinced i have a death wish

          𝕬nnabeth and Rachel were arguing again, which wasn't great for the whole cardio thing as we were running away from an army.

"Annabeth, follow her!" Luke brushed past me, giving the younger girl a gentle shove, shooting me an exasperated look.

The auburn haired girl whipped around corners and didn't even hesitate at crossroads. Once she said, "Duck!" and we all crouched as a huge axe swung over our heads. Then we kept going as if nothing had happened.

We didn't stop to rest until we came to a room the size of a gymnasium with old marble columns holding up the roof. I stood at the doorway, listening for sounds of pursuit, but I heard nothing. Apparently we'd lost them.

Then I realized something else: Mrs. O'Leary was gone. I didn't know when she'd disappeared. I didn't know of she'd gotten lost or been overrun by monsters or what. My heart turned to lead. My poor little puppy.

Ethan collapsed on the floor. "You people are crazy." He pulled off his helmet. His face gleamed with sweat.

Annabeth gasped. "I remember you! You were one of the undetermined kids in the Hermes cabin, years ago."

"Annabeth!" Luke turned, his eyes flashing. "That's rude. Ethan, if I remember right?"

"Yeah. You're Luke." Ethan stated simply and I wasn't surprised that he knew my boyfriend. Everyone knew Luke.

"What—what happened to your eye?" Annabeth's voice was quieter now, but Ethan merely looked away.

"You must be the half-blood from my dream," I said. "The one Puck's people cornered. It wasn't Nico after all."

"Who's Nico?"

"Never mind," Annabeth said quickly. "Why were you trying to join up with the wrong side?"

Luke sighed and Ethan sneered. "There's no right side. The gods never cared about us. Why shouldn't I—"

"Sign up with an army that makes you fight to the death for entertainment?" Annabeth said. "Gee, I wonder."

Ethan struggled to his feet. "I'm not going to argue with you. Thanks for the help, but I'm out of here."

"Is that a good idea?" Luke asked, having found his way over to me to check to make sure that I was unscathed.