xci. brooke is competing with me for worst year ever

chapter ninety-one

─── brooke is competing with me for worst year ever

          𝔒ne minute, I was in the forest near Camp Half-Blood, the next, I was being plunged into darkness

𝔒ne minute, I was in the forest near Camp Half-Blood, the next, I was being plunged into darkness. I could only feel Mrs. O'Leary's fur and her dog collar, that I was clinging onto for dear life.

The next minute, I was somewhere else. Brooke lived on a farm. It was beautiful, full of rolling fields of crops with a large farm house in the centre of it. It was a huge priority, my mind being blown if I was perfectly honest. I was used to the tightness of New York apartments, how cramped everything could be, and here, it was all spread out. Someone was watching me from the porch and I tilted my head.

I could recognise Brooke anywhere even if I hadn't seen her in a while.

Nico appeared right next to me, stumbling as I caught him with practiced ease. He'd been scaring me and Luke with that for a few months now, appearing through the shadows, so we'd gotten used to grabbing the back of his shirt before he could faceplan.

"I'm okay." Nico whined.

"Sit and sleep." I shoot back, knowing what he was like.

"I think-"

"No you don't." I corrected. "Let me and Brooke talk, you sit and sleep."

Nico doesn't protest much after that, slumping down by a snoring Mrs. O'Leary and passing out almost immediately. I'm not too worried about either of them getting kidnapped, trusting the safety of Brooke's family farm. If it was Luke that would be a different story, he'd definitely be kidnapped.

I had a theory that he was robbing banks to get money out whenever he needed to, having never seen my boyfriend do any paid work ever but then I suppose, looking after Eleven and not killing any of his siblings was horrific work, so he deserved it.

"Romy..." Brooke called as I approached. Her arms are folded across her chest, defensive and I take Riptide out, turning it into sword form and stabbing it into the ground. She untenses at that. "What you doing here?"

"Came to see my friend. Why are you tense?"

"I'm not sure, my brother might have resurrected a Titan Lord, but what do I know?" Brooke snarked back as I hum in agreement. "You got Nico with you?"

"Yeah, he's like a feral cat. Tried to come and go as he pleased and then I passed him over to my mom and he now has a curfew." Brooke snickers. "She likes having him in the house and you know, thought I'd do my uncle a favour considering he lets me take Cerberus out every now and then. He needs to sleep, he'll be around in an hour or so."

"You want something to eat? Drink?"

"If you're offering, sure." I smile at her. She hands be a glass of juice and brings some crisps out as we sit back outside on the porch. I can see Nico and my dog's sleeping form from here, so I'm not worried. "I haven't seen you in a bit, Brooke. Was a bit worried if Luke didn't tell me that you were alright."