l. violence is a question, my answer is always yes

chapter fifty

─── violence is a question, my answer is always yes

          𝕴 didn't get any sleep after that, spending the rest of the night sitting on the back porch of Eleven, staring at the lake and trying to process what had happened. When morning finally came, I woke the rest of the cabin and took them to breakfast, eating quietly at the end of the table.

They then went off to do their activities, whilst I found Grover, talking to him about my dream and asking whether or not he had heard anything from Andi through their empathy link, but he hadn't.

We sat in the meadow watching the satyrs chase the wood nymphs through the snow. Usually the nymph would let the satyr get up a full head of steam, then she'd turn into a snow-covered tree and the poor satyr would slam into it headfirst and get a pile of snow dumped on him.

When I told Grover my nightmare, he started twirling his finger in his shaggy leg fur.

"A cave ceiling collapsed on her?" he asked.

"Yeah. I'm still struggling to work it out myself," I rested Backbiter across my knees, checking the blade over for nicks and cuts.

Grover shook his head. "I don't know. But after what Zoe dreamed—"

"Whoa. What do you mean? Zoe had a dream like that?"

"I...I don't know, exactly. About three in the morning she came to the Big House and demanded to talk to Chiron. She looked really panicked."

"Wait, how do you know this?"

Grover blushed. "I was sort of camped outside Eight."

"What for?"

"Just to be, you know, near them."

"You're a stalker." I pointed at him.

"I am not! Anyway, I followed her to the Big House and hid in a bush and watched the whole thing. She got real upset when Argus wouldn't let her in."

"What did she say?" I asked.

Grover grimaced. "Well, she starts talking really old-fashioned when she gets upset, so it was kind of hard to understand. But something about Artemis being in trouble and needing the Hunters. And then she called Argus a boil-brained lout...I think that's a bad thing. And then he called her—"

"How could Artemis be in trouble?"

"I...well, finally Chiron came out in his pyjamas and his horse tail in curlers and—" Grover slapped his hand over his mouth, but I waved him on. I knew about this already after a brilliant Christmas prank a few years back. Granted it then got me on chore duty for the next three months, but great all the same. "Well, Zoe said she needed permission to leave camp immediately. Chiron refused. He reminded Zoe that the Hunters were supposed to stay here until they received orders from Artemis. And she said..." Grover gulped. "She said 'How are we to get orders from Artemis if Artemis is lost?'"