lxii. sappy reunions and starlight funerals, the ups and downs of life

chapter sixty-two

─── sappy reunions and starlight funerals, the ups and downs of life

[ Andromeda ]

          𝖂e landed at Crissy Field after nightfall, which gave my joints some time to recover after having been chained up for days and then holding the sky. Though, I have to say that sky weighed the same amount as my failures, so the burden wasn't that bad.

As soon as Dr. Chase stepped out of his Sopwith Camel, Annabeth ran to him and gave him a huge hug as I contemplated whether collapsing on the floor was an appropriate response to seeing land and being free.

"Dad! You flew...you shot...oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

Her father blushed. "Well, not bad for a middle-aged mortal, I suppose."

"But the celestial bronze bullets! How did you get those?"

"Ah, well. You did leave quite a few half-blood weapons in your room in Virginia, the last time you...left." Annabeth looked down, embarrassed and I turned away. Luke had helped set Zoe down beside Artemis and was turning back for me. I accepted his hand, stumbling out of the chariot and into his arms.

"I like the hair. Go to a new stylist?" I joked, twirling the grey strand of his hair around my finger. He hummed, pressing a kiss to my forehead as I felt his hands tremble in my own. "Now we match."

"You're okay," He muttered, his hands still trembling as I nodded and pulled him closer.

"I'm here, Luke, and I'm not leaving again,"

"Please don't. I can't handle that," I chuckled, before pressing a kiss to his lips, smiling as he wrapped his hands around my waist. Maybe I was a sappy fool in love, but being back in his arms was one of the best Christmas presents I got.

I suppose being saved from certain death also was on the list.

"Romy, Luke, Annabeth," Brooke interrupted, her voice urgent. She and Artemis were kneeling at Zoe's side, trying to bind the huntress's wounds. There wasn't much we could do though, as Luke had already given her the last of his ambrosia.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" I asked Artemis. "I mean...you're a goddess."

Artemis looked troubled. "Life is a fragile thing, Andromeda. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I can try."