lxxix. i am notorious for bad ideas so don't trust me

chapter seventy-nine

─── i am notorious for bad ideas so don't trust me

          𝕴 just want to explain to you how funny this trip was going to be. Firstly, you had me. Then you had Luke, who was dating me, Rachel, who had a crush on Luke and Annabeth, who used to have a crush on Luke and seemed to hate Rachel. Not a great combination if you ask me.

The metal door had unsealed as Annabeth touched it, creaking open to reveal a dark staircase leading down.

"Wow." Rachel seemed calm. She'd changed into a Museum of Modern Art t-shirt, marker coloured jeans and her blue hairbrush was sticking out her back pocket. Her red hair was tied back, but she still had flecks of gold in it, and traces of the gold glitter on her face. "So...after you?"

"You're the guide," Annabeth said with mock politeness. "Lead on."

"I'll go first then." Luke muttered, shooting me a look as I tried not to laugh, before dragging me with him.

The stairs led down to a large brick tunnel. It was so dark I couldn't see two feet in front of us, but Luke, Annabeth and I had restocked our flashlights. As soon as we switched them on, Rachel yelped.

A skeleton was grinning at us. It wasn't human. It was huge, for one thing—at least ten feet tall. It had been strung up, chained by its wrists and ankles so it made a kind of giant X over the tunnel. But what really sent shivers down my spine was the single black eye socket in the centre of its skull.

"A Cyclops," Annabeth said. "It's very old. It's not...anybody we know."

Luke shot me a worried look as I paled. I couldn't bare to think where my little brother was.

Rachel swallowed. "You have a friend who's a Cyclops?"

"Tyson, my little brother." I told her.

"Your half brother?"

"My brother. Hopefully we'll find him down here," I corrected. "And Grover. He's a satyr."

"Oh." Her voice was small. "Well then, we'd better keep moving."

She stepped under the skeleton's left arm and kept walking. Annabeth followed after with a shrug, as I reached for Luke's hand.

After fifty feet we came to a crossroads. Ahead, the brick tunnel continued. To the right, the walls were made of ancient marble slabs. To the left, the tunnel was dirt and tree roots.