xliii. i have extra names to add to the list, but i'm not pleased

chapter forty-three

─── i have extra names to add to the list, but i'm not pleased

          𝕿he next afternoon was both the happiest and the worst that I'd had in my entire life, which wasn't doing wonders for my mental health

Grover announced that he'd be able to spend the rest of the summer with us before resuming his quest for Pan. His bosses at the Council of Cloven Elders were so impressed that he hadn't gotten himself killed and had cleared the way for future searchers, that they granted him a two-month furlough and a new set of reed pipes.

The only bad news: Grover insisted on playing those pipes all afternoon long, and his musical skills hadn't improved much. He played "YMCA," and the strawberry plants started going crazy, wrapping around our feet like they were trying to strangle us and I really couldn't blame them.

Grover told me he could dissolve the empathy link between us, now that we were face to face, but I told him I'd just as soon keep it if that was okay with him. He put down his reed pipes and stared at me. "But, if I get in trouble again, you'll be in danger, Romy! You could die!"

"If you get in trouble again, I want to know about it. And I'll come help you again. I wouldn't have it any other way."

In the end he agreed not to break the link. He went back to playing "YMCA" for the strawberry plants. I didn't need an empathy link with the plants to know how they felt about it.

Luke and I had all shared looks of annoyance as our ear drums burst. 

Annabeth hadn't come near me or Luke after he had kissed me when we won the race. Luke had only clocked on when I told him, wanting to talk to her straight away but I'd made him wait. She needed time to process first.

I spoke to Chiron soon after, who told me that everything was in the clear with my school and the whole explosion thing that I had pinned on another student (not that they knew that).

"You mean, I can graduate?"

"Yes, they've confirmed it." I sighed in relief at that, not wanting to have to retake a year or something stupid. I'd prefer to go straight to college.

"Oh, and speaking of this, your mother..." He unclipped his cell phone from his quiver and handed it to me. "It's high time you called her."

The worst part was the beginning—the "Andromeda-Estelle-Jackson-what-were-you-thinking-do-you-have-any-idea-how-worried-I-was-sneaking-off-to-camp-without-permission-going-on-dangerous-quests-and-scaring-me-half-to-death" part which she said at a speed of about 15 words a nanosecond.