liii. i might have gotten myself in trouble

chapter fifty-three

─── i might have gotten myself in trouble

          𝕹ow, riding for hours on end left you in a lot of pain, and even more so when you're still soaked with sea water from trying to save a seacow.

To top it all off, it was raining.

We lost the van twice, but I had a pretty good sense that they would go into Manhattan first, so it wasn't too difficult to pick up their trail again.

Traffic was bad with the holidays and all so it was mid morning before they got into the city. I landed Blackjack near the top of the Chrysler Building and watched the white camp van, thinking it would pull into the bus station, but it just kept driving.

"Where's Argus taking them?" I muttered.

Oh, Argus ain't driving, Blackjack told me. That girl is.

"Which girl?"

The Hunter girl. With the silver crown thing in her hair.

"Zoe?"

That's the one. Hey, look! There's a donut shop. Can we get something to go?

I told him no and that Andi would buy him donuts, hoping that wouldn't come back to bite me later. Meanwhile, the van kept snaking its way toward the Lincoln Tunnel. 

"Well," I said. "Lets get after them."

We were about to leap off the Chrysler Building when Blackjack whinnied in alarm and almost threw me. Something was curling around my leg. I reached for my sword, but when I looked down, there was no snake. Vines—grape vines—had sprouted from the cracks between the stones of the building. They were wrapping around Blackjack's legs, lashing down my ankles so we couldn't move.

"Going somewhere?" Mr. D asked.

He was leaning against the building with his feet levitating in the air, his leopard-skin warm-up suit and black hair whipping around in the wind.

God alert! Blackjack yelled. It's the wine dude !

Mr. D sighed in exasperation. "The next person, or horse, who calls me the 'wine dude' will end up in a bottle of Merlot!"

"Mr D." I nodded at him, before showing him my bag. "Dad wanted me to go and who am I to argue against the will of a god?"

"Did you ask my permission?"

"Uh...no?"

"I should throw you off this building, minus the flying horse, and see how heroic you sound on the way down."