c. trauma for you and you and you

chapter one hundred

─── trauma for you and you and you

          𝔗he elevator slowed us down. After listening to the Bee Gees for like three minutes, there weren't many Staying Alive when we reached the street. Clarisse must've lost a fight with a Hyperborean giant, because she and her chariot were frozen in a block of ice and that was the best of the injuries. The centaurs were nowhere to be seen. Either they'd panicked and ran or they'd been disintegrated. 

The Titan army ringed the building, standing maybe twenty feet from the doors. Kronos's vanguardwas in the lead: Ethan Nakamura, the dracaena queen, and two Hyperboreans. I didn'tsee Prometheus. He was probably praying to be back on the rock.

But Kronos himself stood right in front with his scythe in hand. There was one thing in his way.

"Chiron," Annabeth said, her voice trembling and Luke caught her before she could run to him. He kept his grip tight, hushing her as she struggled.

If Chiron heard us, he didn't answer. He had an arrow notched, aimed straight at Kronos's face. As soon as Kronos saw me, his gold eyes flared. Every muscle in my body froze. Then the Titan lord turned his attention back to Chiron. 

"Step aside, son." Hearing Puck call Chiron his son was weird enough, but Kronos put contempt in his voice, like son was the worst word he could think of. 

"I'm afraid not." Chiron's tone was steely calm, the way he gets when he's really angry. I tried to move, but my feet felt like concrete. Luke, Annabeth, Grover, and Thalia were straining too, like they were just as stuck. 

"Chiron!" Annabeth said. "Look out!" 

The dracaena queen became impatient and charged. Chiron's arrow flew straight between her eyes and she vaporized on the spot, her empty armor clattering to the asphalt. Chiron reached for another arrow, but his quiver was empty. He dropped the bow and drew his sword. 

I knew he hated fighting with a sword. It was never his favorite weapon. That was why Luke had taught me sword fighting and not Chiron.

Kronos chuckled. He advanced a step, and Chiron's horse-half skittered nervously. 

"You're a teacher," Kronos sneered. "Not a hero." 

"Puck was a hero," Chiron said. "He was a good one, until you corrupted him." 

"Fool!" Kronos's voice shook the city. "You filled his head with empty promises. You said the gods cared about me!" 

"Me," Chiron noticed. "You said me." 

Kronos looked confused, and in that moment, Chiron struck. It was a good manoeuvre—a feint followed by a strike to the face. I couldn't have done better myself, but Luke had taught us the counter move for that one and of course, Puck knew that too.