xlix. andi's ability to insult people is bound to get her smited

chapter forty-nine

─── andi's ability to insult people is bound to get her smited

          𝕴 had always liked Camp Half-Blood in the winter

          𝕴 had always liked Camp Half-Blood in the winter. Something about the frost on the ground reminded me of home and better times when my mum was slightly less crazy than she was now.

The cabins were decorated with tiny flickering lights, like Christmas lights, except when you looked closer, it turned out to be balls of real fire. More lights glowed in the woods, and weirdest of all, a fire flickered in the attic window of the Big House, where the Oracle dwelt, imprisoned in an old mummified body. The same spirit that had cursed my mother (we weren't exactly on friendly terms).

"Whoa," Nico said as he climbed off the bus. "Is that a climbing wall?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Why is there lava pouring down it?"

"Provides a challenge," I patted his shoulder. "Zoe, I'm taking him to Chiron. Have fun in Eight."

"I'll show you the way," Grover offered his services to the Hunters.

"We know the way," Zoe deadpanned.

"Oh, really, it's no trouble. It's easy to get lost here, if you don't"—he tripped over a canoe and came up still talking—"like my old daddy goat used to say! Come on!"

Zoe rolled her eyes, but she figured there was no getting rid of Grover. The Hunters shouldered their packs and their bows and headed off toward the cabins. As Bianca di Angelo was leaving, she leaned over and whispered something in her brothers ear. She looked at him for an answer, but Nico just scowled and turned away.

"Take care, sweethearts!" Apollo called after the Hunters. He winked at me. "Watch out for those prophecies, Luke. I'll see you soon."

"Great." I hated prophecies and I hated seeing Apollo.

He hopped back in the bus. "Later, Thalia," he called. "And, uh, be good!"

He gave her a wicked smile, as if he knew something she didn't. Then he closed the doors and revved the engine. I turned aside as the sun chariot took off in a blast of heat. When I looked back, the lake was steaming. A red Maserati soared over the woods, glowing brighter and climbing higher until it disappeared in a ray of sunlight.

Nico was still looking grumpy and I wondered what his sister had told him.

"Who's Chiron?" he asked. "I don't have his figurine."

"Our activities director," I said. "You'll see what he's like when you meet him."

"If those Hunter girls don't like him," Nico grumbled, "that's good enough for me. Let's go."