xii. i question my sanity because we're taking advice from a poodle

chapter twelve

─── i question my sanity because we're taking advice from a poodle

          𝔖leeping outside of the cold hard floor, after it had just rained, with no fire and soggy clothes was terrible and demoralising. Especially when you still felt sick. I was so sure that my stomach twisting and the chattering of my teeth would draw every monster to us.

Finally, I gave in and sat up.

"You alright?" A heavy jacket hit my shoulders, and suddenly I was cocooned in warmth. I pushed the hood off of my head, looking around to watch as Luke sat down next to me, left in his hoodie and jeans. Slowly, I began to stop shivering. "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit." I muttered. "I killed someone."

"Andi...I know that you feel like you blame yourself. But, she wasn't a human being. She was a monster and a dangerous one at that." Luke sighed. "You did the right thing."

"Does it get easier?" Grover snored next to us as I stared up at the stars.

"The first time is hard, but after that, it get's better." Luke shrugged. "It's not murder if you're saving others."

"Who told you that?"

"I made it. When I was younger." Luke shook his head. "I've killed a lot of monsters in my time. But it gets easier, I promise."

He shot me a warm look, a half-smile playing on his face as I nodded and pulled his coat tighter around me. The wind picked up and I subconsciously shuffled closer to Luke to steal more of his body warmth. 

"How do we speak with Hades?"

"I don't know." Luke shook his head. He didn't seem to notice as his fingers brushed against mine, but I was sure I was bright red.

"And what chance do we have against a god?" I hoped my words didn't trip over themselves as his thumb began to trace circles across the back of my hand.

"Look, Annabeth has an idea, and I agree with her. She and Grover figured something out whilst you were searching Medusa's office," Luke began, as my eyes narrowed and I looked between Grover, Annabeth and Luke again, something clicking in my head. They were all so close, there must be a reason.

"Were you guys Grover's first assignment?" Luke paled, before shaking his head.

"Let's not talk about it." His fingers started to interlace with mine, distracting me from my thoughts. "But as I was saying, back at Medusa's, Annabeth and I agreed there's something strange going on with this quest. Something isn't what it seems."