xc. never trust small kids, a good life lesson

chapter ninety

─── never trust small kids, a good life lesson

          𝔐y landlord hated me. He wouldn't let me keep my dog in the apartment, nor let me bring my uncle's dog over, so instead, I had to cope with only seeing them whenever I was at camp.

"Hi baby!" I cooed as my dog came barrelling over, almost knocking me flat on my back as I cuddled her.

Of course, my landlord might have banned them because Mrs O'Leary was the size of a small truck and Cerberus had 3 heads. He was discriminating against dogs. Or maybe it was because both of their breeds were quite scary. Cerberus was a mastiff, an English mastiff, pitch black with white spots on his chest, hence the name. Mrs O'Leary on the other hand was a hellhound, but to imagine them, think of a Belgian Shepherd, also pitch black. 

Look, yes a hellhound had tried to kill me once but that was because Luke didn't know how to respond to having a crush on me, so I'd moved past it. It wasn't the breeds fault and I loved my beautiful Mrs O'Leary. 

She'd once belong to Daedalus, but he'd given her to me when he'd died and now, she was mine. I'd trained her up with all sorts of tricks, finding that it helped me to get my mind off my impending death, prophecies, school work and everything else that was going on in my life.

"Come on then." She pads along beside me, leading me towards the woods but I'm not too freaked out. I'm confident in my own abilities and realistically, who was going to attack me with Mrs. O'Leary here?

She lead me to a familiar clearing where the Council of Cloven Elders had once put Grover on trial. It didn't look great, the grass having turned yellow and leaves shedding at an alarming rate, considering it was summer. In the middle stood Juniper, Nico and a very old, very fat satyr. Juniper and the satyr both jumped at the sight of the dog, but I motioned for Mrs O'Leary to sit and approached.

"Will someone-what is this underworld creature doing in my forest?" The satyr crowed, trotting around and waving his arms. "You there, Andromeda Jackson! Is this your beast?"

"She's a dog and she's well trained." I cut him off, turning to Nico. "I thought you were with my mom. Better not have given her a heart attack with leaving."

"No." He scowled at that, as I tilt his head back and forth, looking for scratches. "Romy..."

"Nico..." I drawl out his word in the same way. "Mom knows you're here?"