xcix. luke gets dumped

chapter ninety-nine

─── luke gets dumped

          "𝔚hat were you thinking?" Clarisse cradled Silena's head in her lap. Silena tried to swallow, but her lips were dry and cracked. 

"Wouldn't...listen. Cabin would...only follow you." 

"So you stole my armor," Clarisse said in disbelief. "You waited until Chris and I went out on patrol; you stole my armor and pretended to be me and no one noticed." 

She glared at her siblings, who all developed a sudden interest in their combat boots.

"Don't blame them," Silena said. "They wanted to...to believe I was you." 

"You stupid Aphrodite girl," Clarisse sobbed. "You charged a drakon? Why?" 

"All my fault," Silena said, a tear streaking the side of her face. "The drakon, Charlie's death...camp endangered—" 

"Stop it!" Clarisse said. "That's not true." 

Silena opened her hand. In her palm was a silver bracelet with a scythe charm, the mark of Kronos. A cold fist closed around my heart as my face hardened. I didn't know what to do. This girl had taught me how to ride a pegasus and also almost gotten me killed.

"You were the spy." Silena tried to nod. 

"Puck...He promised...he promised I was saving lives. Fewer people would get hurt. He told me he wouldn't hurt...Charlie. He lied to me." I met Annabeth's eyes. Her face was chalky. She looked like somebody had just yanked the world out from under her feet. 

Behind us, the battle raged. Clarisse scowled at her cabinmates. 

"Go, help the centaurs. Protect the doors. GO!" They scrambled off to join the fight. Silena took a heavy, painful breath. 

"Forgive me." 

"You're not dying," Clarisse insisted."

Charlie..." Silena's eyes were a million miles away. "See Charlie..." 

She didn't speak again. Clarisse held her and wept. Chris put a hand on her shoulder. Finally Annabeth closed Silena's eyes. 

"We have to fight." Annabeth's voice was brittle. "She gave her life to help us. We have to honour her." 

Clarisse sniffled and wiped her nose. 

"She was a hero, understand? A hero." I nodded, grabbing her before she walked off and yanking her back. She struggled, but I wrapped my hand around the back of her head, hitting her forehead to mine as she tried not to cry.