lxxiv. monster shish kebab, the andi special

chapter seventy-four

─── monster shish kebab, the andi special

          𝕷et me use this as a good time to remind you to never follow my ideas. Whilst I am able to strategise decently, if my friends are threatened, all planning goes out the window. My fatal flaw, after all, is loyalty.

So, cleaning mucky stables would have been fine, but cleaning stables with carnivore horses (according to my biology degree, there's no such thing) was not as fine.

Hi, I told him. I'm going to clean your stables. Won't that be great?

Yes! The horse said. Come inside! Eat you! Tasty half-blood!

But I'm Poseidon's daughter, I protested. He created horses.

Usually this gets me VIP treatment with horses, but no. That would be too simple.

Yes! The horse agreed enthusiastically. Poseidon can come in, too! We will eat you both! Seafood!

Seafood! The other horses chimed in as they waded through the field. Flies were buzzing everywhere, and the heat of the day didn't make the smell any better. I'd had some idea that I could do this challenge, because I remembered how Hercules had done it. He'd channelled a river into the stables and cleaned them out that way. 

However, there were a couple of problems. Mainly that the river was downhill, almost half a mile away, and secondly that the horses wanted to eat me.

The sun was already sinking. I had a few hours at best. I decided the river was my only hope. At least it would be easier to think at the riverside than it was here. I set off downhill.

When I got to the river, I found a girl waiting for me. She was wearing jeans and a green T-shirt, a stern look plastered on her face. Her arms were crossed.

"Oh no you don't," she said.

I stared at her. "Are you a naiad?"

She rolled her eyes. "Of course!"

Naiads and I normally got on well, with the whole water things. Apart from two at Camp Half-Blood who now didn't like me cause I once kissed Luke in front of them. It's not my fault that he's hot, but it is my fault that I'm dating him!

"Look," I said. "I just came to ask—"

"I know who you are," she said. "And I know what you want. And the answer is no! I'm not going to have my river used again to clean that filthy stable."