lviii. one good thing about hitting rock bottom, is it can't get worse

chapter fifty-eight

─── one good thing about hitting rock bottom, is it can't get worse

          𝕴 drove the truck we found at the edge of the dump, as I was minorly less shocked than the others.

"The skeletons are still out there," I murmured softly, glancing over at Zoe. She was sitting in the front with me, whilst Brooke and Grover sat in the back, still shell shocked. "We need to keep moving."

The little figurine that had cost Bianca's life lay in my pocket, a heavy weight compared to my other burdens.

"It should have been me, not her," Zoe murmured, her feet on the dash as she shook her head. "I was the eldest Huntress, it should have been me."

"Keep saying stupid things like that and I'll punch you," I shot her a glare. "It shouldn't have been you. You were nowhere close."

"It shouldn't have been you either," Zoe countered before I could become self depreciating. "It shouldn't have been any of us."

"I hate quests,"

"Why did you come then?" Zoe asked. "You don't like quests. I remember how you were after the quest..."

"We don't talk about that quest," I replied.

"Then why are you here?"

"Andi and Annabeth need me," I shrugged, the scar across my face twinging as I drummed my finger, "and I'm the oldest at camp. It's my job to make sure that all of the others stay safe."

"You're not the camp leader. That's Chiron and Mr. D's job,"

"They're immortal beings," I shook my head. "They forget how many years pass in a mortal life half the time, and they don't truly care for us. We're just heroes to train and then forget. We're not that important."

"Chiron made it sound like Andromeda was pretty important,"

"She's the daughter of Poseidon. The first daughter of Poseidon in years, so of course they believe that. The rest of us are just children of gods. We've had hundreds of siblings before us and after us, so we're not all that special," Zoe sighed at my ranting, glancing over at me.

"You changed after that quest,"

"I was mauled by a dragon. I think that would change anyone," I sighed, before shaking my head. "Look, I don't want to talk about it. I just want to go, get Andi, Annabeth and Artemis and get back to camp before Christmas. That's it."