ci. could my day get worse? yes, yes it could

chapter one hundred and one

─── could my day get worse? yes, yes it could

          𝔄s soon as the gods turned up and took charge, I abandoned Puck's body to go to Luke's side. Turning him over, I winced, brushing his hair from his face and looking at the scar, which had started to reopen.

"Hi..." I whispered, as his eyes fluttered. He was in pain but he wouldn't say anything. "Hi, come on...we've got to get you some help."

"Puck?"

"The Fates are here to take him." Grover explained, helped me haul Luke up. My boyfriend was tall and I was reminded of that fact when I draped his arm over my shoulder and took most of his weight onto me. He used Backbiter to help hold himself up as we watched the Fates hold up a snippet of the blue yarn, the one I'd seen them snip all those years ago.

It is done. Her voice was rasping and I shivered, for a moment, seeing my own gravestone, before it was gone.

There was no one else to say goodbye to Puck. His mother, Hecate, was captured and would be punished for her involvement with Kronos, Brooke was at home, none the wiser and his father would never know that his son had been killed here. He was alone.

"Wait." Luke's voice was hoarse, before he reached into his pocket and pulled two drachmas out. "For his eyes, for his passage."

One last piece of protection from Luke to Puck, one last little thing to make sure that the child he had raised would finally be safe. 

Grover took the coins from him, covering Puck's eyes beneath the shroud, before we watched as they left.

The lines made sense to me now. The hero's soul cursed blade shall reap. Puck was technically a hero, he was raised to be one even if he had gone off course, and cursed blade was Backbiter, cursed to kill both demigods, humans and mortals. A single choice shall end their days. I'd chosen to kill him, Luke and I had chosen to fight and Puck had chosen to help stop Kronos, all of which had led to Puck's death. Olympus to preserve or raze. We had saved Olympus but I'm not sure if Luke or I were the heroes. I'd killed a sixteen year old, Luke had killed Ethan Nakamura and who knows how many others we had killed or gotten killed.

There was far too much blood on my hands now.

Luke's legs gave out from next to me, and I almost stumbled.