Chapter 30

Two weeks had gone by and still no sign of the Antipodean Opaleye dragon, but Charlie was still hopeful that they would find the dragon. Their three weeks in New Zealand hadn't been too bad, Charlie had seen some evidence that a dragon lived in this valley. They just had to keep a close eye out for it.

Jessica and Charlie decided to give the horses a break and walked them rather than travelling on horseback. Charlie heard a rustling above them, they looked up at higher ground, Charlie gathered the horses inside his back, so Crunchie and Rhyme could rest.

Charlie gestured for Jessica to be quiet, he guided her around the rocky wall, he secretly hoped that is was the dragon. Though Charlie didn't want to put Jessica in harm's way, Charlie listened carefully, he heard a high pitched screeching noise.

"Is that the-

Charlie placed his hand over Jessica's mouth, dragons had impeccable hearing and would have no trouble hearing even the slightest noise. Charlie put the horses away so they didn't attract the dragon towards them, Charlie listened to see if he could figure out how many dragons were above them.

From what Charlie could hear there seemed to be three dragons up there and they seemed pretty young most likely just under a year old. Charlie listened for an older dragon, if the three young dragons were in fact under a year old their mother would still care for them till they were old enough to fly.

Everything went quiet, Jessica creased her brows at Charlie, he pointed around the edge where a steep slope leading up the where the dragons were. Jessica was hesitant at first these weren't captive dragons these dragons were wild, and even though the Antipodean Opaleye Dragon were the least aggressive towards people, she was still frightened.

Charlie mouthed 'Wait here' to Jessica while he crept up the slope, to where he thought a nest could possibly be laid. He climbed up into a tree, looking down at the nest, and there they were three young dragons, playing together, their mother must have been out hunting for their dinner.

Charlie had a camera in his bag, he slowly took out the camera to take a few pictures of the dragons. He smiled never did he think he would be here in New Zealand, witnessing the most beautiful dragon in existence, with pearly scales.

Once Charlie got a closer look at them, he heard large wings flapping in the distance, he ducked down, holding onto the bench. A larger Antipodean Opaleye dropped down dropping a sheep, that the younger dragons ate up quickly, Charlie smiled brightly, the mother had glittering multi-coloured eyes with no pupils.

"She's beautiful," Charlie said quietly, the dragon looked up,

Charlie stood behind the tree trunk, the dragon sniffed around the tree, Charlie dabbed himself with a scent that would deter the dragon. Charlie held his breath so the dragon couldn't hear him, once the dragon brought her attention back to her babies. Charlie let out a sigh.

Charlie shuffled down the tree and back down to Jessica, who hugged him immediately, they hurried away from the nest, now that the mother was back. It wouldn't be safe to be found here, Charlie still asked Jessica to be quiet seeing as they were still within hearing distance of the dragons.

"Right we should be fine now," Charlie told her.

"I began to panic when I saw the big one coming towards the nest," Jessica said, Charlie smiled at her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder

"I'm fine, look I got some great pictures," Charlie said, dropping his bag on the floor, flicking through the picture.

Jessica looked at them, in amazement they were beautiful, they didn't look scary at all. Though she knew that they could be very dangerous if put in a bad situation.

"Their eyes they don't have pupils," Jessica commented

"Yeah, magizoologist have questioned for many years the eye colour of these dragons, now we can prove it,"

"That's amazing you discovered something you can prove about them," Jessica said, hugging him tightly, placing a kiss on his lips.

"I'm going to write a report on them, I haven't seen enough of them to do a proper report, but we still have a week left and now we know where their nest is," Charlie said, beaming with excitement for what he could achieve by observing the Antipodean Opaleye Dragon.

Jessica walked a little uncomfortably the waist of her jeans had become a little too snug, though she wasn't visibly showing she could feel. The tiniest difference, in her lower abdomen, the biggest problem for her right now was her aversion to certain foods, she couldn't find anything she wanted to eat.

Jessica calculated how many weeks she would roughly be. She estimated to be around nine weeks, though she wasn't entirely sure, just going off her last period. If she was that far along she had entered her third month of pregnancy.

"Charlie, I think I'm around nine weeks," Jessica told him, Charlie's first thought was,

"I need to work on making the sanctuary a safer place," Jessica chuckled

"I think we should still wait till we know what we're having before we tell our families," Jessica said, "That is if you want to know,"

"No, I'd like to know, though considering how many boys are in my family-

"Hey, I have only girls in my family, no brothers, no boy cousins,"

"May the best gender win," Charlie said smiling at her pressing his lips against hers.

Jessica and Charlie were both equally excited and nervous to tell their families of the newest edition coming soon. Charlie had plans to make the sanctuary a little safer so Jessica and his baby could stay with him in Romania, though Jessica had no plans of leaving Charlie any time soon.