Chapter 46

A month had passed since Charlie's proposal, neither he nor Jessica told anyone about their engagement. Both wanting to savour the time they had together, as a betrothed couple, Jessica even hid her hand whenever Mrs Winter's walked into the room.

Jessica wanted to cook dinner for Charlie, she chose one of her mother's old recipes, finding it fitting considering he gave Jessica her mother's ring when he proposed. An Owl flew through the window delivering a letter, Jessica knew this was a personal letter as it didn't come with the morning Owl post.

"Charlie, there's a letter for you," she said, Charlie walked in with his hair all over the place, "what happened to you?"

"Me and Archie built a fort, in the living room," he said, ruffling his hair.

"Okay, where's Archie now?"

"River's watching him," Jessica creased her brows, going to the living room to check on Archie.

Dear Charlie,

In case you haven't heard already, rumours are circulating that the Dark Lord has returned. I say rumours are circulating, Harry returned from the final task, shaken up he said, he witnessed his return, with many other death eaters present including Lucius Malfoy, and Peter Pettigrew.

I just thought I'd keep you updated on the situation here like I promised I would.

P.s. Don't tell your mother, she'll go bloody barmy.

From, Dad.

"What is it?" Jessica asked, holding Archie on her side.

"Why don't you sit down?" Charlie said, Jessica sat with Archie on her lap, "there are rumours, only rumours, nothing's been proven-

"Rumors of what?"

"The Dark Lords return-

"What?"

"Don't panic nothing has been proven, Harry says he witnessed his return, along with death eaters he's identified,"

"Why would he make something like that up, if he's telling the truth, and he's really back, my father will be targetted I can't let that happen,"

"Look, I'll talk to your father, he's more than welcome to stay here with us,"

"Thank you, in the meantime I'm going to try and plan Archie's birthday," Jessica said, taking Archie into the living room.

***

After much persuasion, Jessica's father agreed to stay in Romania with her and Charlie. Jessica had invited all of the Weasley's to attend Archie's first birthday, even Bill was going to make it, deciding to take time off work. Charlie was mad that Percy hadn't even responded to his letter, after finding out he was rude to their mother when she visited him in London.

Charlie wasn't even sure if he wanted Percy there for Archie's birthday, with how he had been acting towards their family. Mrs Winters hurried around making sure everything was perfect for little Archie's first birthday, Jessica had taken Archie upstairs to change him into his birthday outfit.

A jumper that her father had made for him, which read 'little Gryffindor in the making' Jessica and Charlie loved the jumper. Once everyone arrived, Jessica and Charlie waited to see how long it would take for someone in Charlie's family to notice Jessica's engagement ring. Though her ring was seen a lot earlier than they thought.

"Holy Merlin, is that an engagement ring?" Molly asked, Jessica smiled confirming Molly's assumption.

"Oh, I'm so happy, Arthur!" she called, the excitement in Molly's voice drew in Fred George and Ginny.

"Arthur, oh for Godric's sake," she left Jessica's side to find Arthur.

"What's going on?" George asked,

"Go and find Bill and Ron, and we'll tell you," Charlie said, Ginny hurried to find them, once she returned, with Bill and Ron, Molly had just managed to draw Arthur away from a conversation to hear the good news.

"Jessica and I are engaged to be married,"

"What are you serious?" Fred asked

"Congratulations," Bill patted Charlie on his back.

"Oh my god! I have a sister now!" Ginny said, wrapping her arms around Jessica,

"When are you getting married?" Ron asked,

"We don't know yet," Jessica said,

Jessica took Archie outside Arthur had made something for Archie, though Jessica was sceptical as to why they had to be outside to see it. Arthur removed a large blanket that was covering the present, revealing a pull-along wagon, Arthur picked Archie up sitting him down in it.

"It's wonderful, thank you," Jessica hugged Arthur, kissing his cheek.

"I have an idea, wait here," Charlie said hurrying back into the house, Archie looked over the side of the wagon at the wheels.

"Oh my goodness," Mrs Winters said, as Charlie came outside with River on a harness, he fastened River to the front of the wagon.

River pulled Archie around the yard, Archie loved River and the dog was incredibly fond of him too. An unspoken bond between baby and canine was unbreakable. Archie laughed as River pulled him around, making everyone else laugh, an owl flew towards Charlie dropping a letter in front of him.

"Go ahead, you won't miss anything?" Jessica said, she turned to Molly "could you just watch Archie for a minute, I just have to go to the bathroom,"

"Of course dear,"

Jessica walked through the house, upstairs to the bathroom, she saw Charlie in their bedroom reading through the letter. As she walked towards the bathroom, she noticed the date on Mrs Winters' calendar, that hung on her bedroom door. 'That can't be right?' she thought.

Jessica hurried to the bathroom, looking through all the cupboards, for a pregnancy test, she was late. While her cycle wasn't regular yet, she was really late. She waited patiently for the result, 'I can't be, Archie only just a year old,' she thought. She glanced at the test, 'Positive' she took another just to be sure 'Positive' She left the bathroom.

"Charlie," she said, opening the bedroom door a little wider, "there's something I -

"Jess, you aren't going to believe what I've been asked to do?"

"What?"

"There's a breeding program for Thunderbirds being built in Arizona, they want me to go and help set up a suitable habitat for them isn't that great?"

"Yeah, it is great," she bit her lip, "do you want to go?"

"More than anything, to be able to help Thunderbirds thieve in their natural environment," he said, Jessica could see the excitement on his face, she had always admired his passion for these animals.

"I'm sorry you were going to say something?" he said, realising he interrupted her.

"Oh it's nothing, your missing everything downstairs," she said.

Deep down she knew she should have told him, but she didn't want to ruin his chance to do something like this. Jessica knew Charlie would stay if she told him, which would have made Jessica feel guilty for holding him back from doing something she knew he would love.