Chapter 45

Whilst Charlie was thrilled to see Jessica and Archie again, he couldn't wait to get back to the sanctuary to settle in the small herd of Perytons. Jessica needed to grab a few things from her father's before returning to Romania, which would give Charlie the chance to talk to Mr Harper.

"Just take him a second," Jessica handed Archie over to Charlie, before hurrying upstairs.

"I'm actually glad she left us alone," Mr Harper said, grabbing Charlie's attention, "I'd be truly honoured if you asked Jessica to marry you,"

"Thank you, Mr Harper,

"I want to give you something," he said, reaching into his pocket, showing Charlie an engagement ring

"I don't know if you had already found a ring, but if you haven't I'd like Jessica to have this," Charlie admired the ring "It was her mothers, she wanted Jessica to have it when she married,"

"Are you sure?" he asked "Wouldn't you like to keep it,"

"It was her mother's wish that it be passed on to her," Mr Harper, placed the ring in Charlie's hand, closing his fingers around it.

"Alright, I'm almost ready- what?" Jessica asked noticing her father's expression change

"Nothing, I just going to miss you that's all," Jessica wrapped her arms around him,

"Are you going to be okay?" she asked

"Jessica, will you stop worrying, I'll be fine,"

"But I do worry-

"I'm your father, it's me who's supposed to worry about you, the only person you should ever worry about is Archie,"

***

All Jessica could think about was what her father would do if Death Eaters attacked again or worse if He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named returned. Charlie tried his best to distract Jessica's mind being away from her father was more difficult now.

The overwhelming concern for his safety dwelled all too much in Jessica mind. While she knew her father was an exceptionally skilled wizard, she knew he would be a target for the Dark Lord and his followers, all because he was Muggleborn.

Charlie had spoken with Mrs Winters about his plan to propose to Jessica, Mrs Winters was so overjoyed she agreed to watch Archie for them. Thankfully, Jessica had agreed to see the Peryton's with Charlie, intrigued by the Reindeer like creature.

"Are friendly, I mean you did get them from the wild," Jessica questioned Charlie, he chuckled

"I'm sure, they have been around wizards before,"

Charlie guided Jessica towards a holding pen, where he kept the animals that were new to the sanctuary. He patted his pocket, he could feel the small box hidden away in his pocket. He held his hand up to Jessica telling her to wait while he checked the pen.

"Alright come on," Charlie said,

Jessica held her breath, she glanced over at the creature, with the head and body of a reindeer, with the hind legs and wings of an eagle. Jessica was most concerned about their antlers, Jessica assumed only the male would have antlers, however, all of the Peryton's had antlers, only the females had smaller antlers.

"They're beautiful," she commented

"Yeah are, aren't they, I've named them,"

"What are their names?"

"Comet, Donner, Blitzen, and Baby Dancer,"

"Like Santa's reindeers?" Jessica smirked at him

"Why not it suits them,"

"I suppose they do," Jessica said

"Do you want to go for a ride?"

"Are they safe to ride?" she asked

"Yes," Charlie took Jessica hand pulling her towards one of the females,

"Jessica meet Blitzen," Charlie said, petting the Peryton, Jessica cautiously approached the animal, its antlers were much bigger up close.

Charlie held her hand, lightly petting the Peryton, he smiled at Jessica, being able to watch her fear of animals simmer away. He was so proud of her, it wasn't easy to become accustomed to some of the creatures here, and now she wasn't protesting his instructions.

Charlie lifted her on the back of the Peryton's back, Jessica wrapped her arms around his waist, signalled for Blitzen to run. The Peryton ran forward pushing off the ground, Jessica clenched her eyes shut as they flew into the air. The wind against her face warned Jessica of the speed they were flying at, she flicked open her eyes.

"Ahh, we're going too fast," she shrieked

"No we aren't," he chuckled "Hold on,"

Jessica held on as Charlie flew Blitzen down to the top of a hill. Blitzen landed roughly on the ground, Charlie hopped off of the Peryton, lifting Jessica off. She walked toward the peak of the hill, she could see the entire sanctuary from here.

"The view from up here is incredible," Jessica said, looking over the sanctuary, "it seems larger from up here,"

"Yeah, you don't realise how big the sanctuary actually is when you're walking around it," Charlie said, reaching into his pocket.

"Jess," she turned around, seeing Charlie down on one knee, she brought her hands up to her face.

"I love so much, I can't imagine what my life would be like if you never came here, I want to spend the rest of my life completely devoted to you and our son," she smiled at him, he held her hand

"Jessica Lauren Harper, will you make me the happiest wizard in the world and marry me?" she nodded her head, tears forming in her eyes

"Yes," Charlie smiled, placing the ring on her finger, he stood taller than her, leaning to press a soft kiss on her lips, resting his forehead on hers.

The Peryton flew away, leaving Charlie and Jessica alone, he laughed Blitzen had a lot to learn. Charlie lifted Jessica up, she wrapped her legs around his waist, Charlie held her against a tree, kissing her neck, causing her to giggle. He smirked against her skin, kissing her harder, to hear her giggle more.